3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust Manifold Bolt Stripped

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 11:39 PM
Horsti
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Manifold Bolt Stripped

Hello everyone,

After a few weeks I finally finished putting my exhaust manifolds back on my 2007 Ram 2500 Hemi and it all went fairly well but the last bolt...

I torqued all of them to 18 ft/lbs including the 9th bolt on the passenger side. (shown with the red arrow below)

I didn't pay attention before tightening it and I used one of the short bolts, like the ones for used for 1,2,3 &4. It must have been only a couple of threads in the head and it stripped them when I tried to torque it. I can't believe this, especially since I was checking my torque wrench over and over while I was doing it, trying to avoid exactly this from happening ...

Given that his bolt is not part of the sequence, is it actually needed? I really don't want to pull the head to get the thread fixed ...

Also, why does Dorman send 5 short and 4 long bolts when I actually need 5 long ones and 4 short ones? :/

Old 09-25-2018, 06:16 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Can you put a longer bolt in and grab the remaining threads close to the bottom of the hole ? I would try that and if not drive it to see what happens. Only other choice is...heli coil if possible or pull head.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:56 PM
Horsti

I fired her up this afternoon and I definitely have a tapping noise coming from the front at the passenger side. So I would say that bolt is definitely needed...

I played with the bolt a little bit and I was able to get one of the longer bolts in It goes in and out relatively smooth so I think its grabbing the lower threads. But doesn't sit in there very tight, I can wiggle it a little bit, not much but its not in there super tight.

From what I've counted, based on how far the short bolt went in, I probably stripped about 4 to 5 threads while the longer bolt goes in about 13 threads.

I think my best option at this point is to put a stud in there, that has threads all the way to the tip, so it can grab as many threads as possible.

Given the location of the bolt/stud, I'm also thinking about putting some high temp JB weld in the hole before I put the stud in. Any opinions on that?

Old 09-26-2018, 08:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Try the stud first, (no jb weld). That should actually work fairly well. (don't forget the anti-seize on the threads for the nut.)

Old 09-27-2018, 10:09 PM
Horsti

Okay for anybody who made the same stupid mistake as I did:

- the short doorman bolt went in and stripped about 4-5 threads
- the long doorman bolt/stud goes in about 13 threads, minus the 5 threads that stripped, I would have had about 8 threads with that bolt
- the stud went in about 18-19 threads, minus the 5 threads that stripped, I now have 13 threads again and the rod sits in there nice and snug

Also, I managed to take a picture of the threads inside, which are actually not cut all the way to the bottom of them hole. So getting a bot tap and cutting them all the way down would have also been an option, but I didn't want to take everything apart again ... I went ahead and put the rod in, tightened everything and to more tapping

I guess I will be able to tell, if it holds up, after it has gone through a couple of heat/cool cycles.

Thanks for the input!

Old 09-28-2018, 08:16 AM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Good job. Thanks for posting an update!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifold Bolt Stripped