3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bags of Sand In Truck For Traction?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:27 PM
aidenhardcore
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bags of Sand In Truck For Traction?

So after snowing only 3 inches here and sliding everywhere even in 4wd and going nonwhere Somepeople said putting weight in the back of you bed of truck. So I went to lowes and brought eight 50lbs bags of sand and put them in the middle of the bed right under the back wheels. So with the extra 400lbs I think I should get better traction. Well at least I hope so. My friend has a 07 subrua inprezxa and with his all wheel drive car, he does better then me with 4wd. Sounds strange. We both started out at my house and started to make our way to my friends house 40 mins away in 3 inches of snow and he got there way before me. lol. Took me at least 30 mins more. He was flying by me and i was going slow just to stay on road. . God Dammit do i hate that pos car he has.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:02 AM
Spike7ss
Veteran

Alot has to do with tires. We can get a foot of snow over night and poor tires will get you no where.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:18 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aidenhardcore
So after snowing only 3 inches here and sliding everywhere even in 4wd and going nonwhere Somepeople said putting weight in the back of you bed of truck. So I went to lowes and brought eight 50lbs bags of sand and put them in the middle of the bed right under the back wheels. So with the extra 400lbs I think I should get better traction. Well at least I hope so. My friend has a 07 subrua inprezxa and with his all wheel drive car, he does better then me with 4wd. Sounds strange. We both started out at my house and started to make our way to my friends house 40 mins away in 3 inches of snow and he got there way before me. lol. Took me at least 30 mins more. He was flying by me and i was going slow just to stay on road. . God Dammit do i hate that pos car he has.
you're supposed to put it above the axle, not under the tires. In all honesty, he's probably always gonna do better than you due to weight distribution, gearing, traction control, etc. As mentioned, tires have a HUGE difference in snow. Beleive it or not, my fwd civic with blizzaks does better than my 4x4 ram with M/T.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:12 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

You could probably get by with half that much sand. Put it farther back in the bed. Four hundred extra pounds will clobber your mileage to even worse than it's supposed to be.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 AM
aidenhardcore
Captain

Ya well it sucks that I couldnt go anywhere but with the sand in the back, I should do better now. Thanks for the help.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:44 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

If you need 400 lbs of sand, something really ain't right.
This is going to hurt to hear it, but honestly, truly, get rid of the wrangler HPs if you still have them.

I recommend AGAINST putting 400 lbs of sand all the way in the back of the bed like Mike is suggesting. You will unload the front and may have trouble steering (much more important than going).

the suby will likely always kick your *** in the snow unless its feet of snow.

see if you can do a setup like Got hemi 44 that keeps the bags from moving. if they suddenly slide when you're trying to stop, 400 lbs can make you lose traction when they hit the front of the bed.

400 lbs isn't going to hurt your mileage as much as people think. That's like 2 extra passengers, would you worry about MPG with 2 extra passengers? the increase in traction will likely make up the MPG difference anyway.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:18 AM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was gonna say feej, 400 lbs is like one of my friends. You should see it when 6 of us 320+ guys get in the cab. LOL. its always a good time.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by oefootball_70
I was gonna say feej, 400 lbs is like one of my friends. You should see it when 6 of us 320+ guys get in the cab. LOL. its always a good time.
That's over your load rating on the truck!!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:36 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

get rid of the suck years!!

Old 12-11-2009, 12:03 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

dang you sure your 4wd is actually working? shouldnt have that much trouble in 3". I was out wed morning in 4" with and empty truck and barely broke traction. but i have to agree strongly with the tire issue, especially since you live in MA.

Quick Reply: Bags of Sand In Truck For Traction?