3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front CV Axle Removal/Replace help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:37 PM
rochefort978
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front CV Axle Removal/Replace help?

Hey just wondering if anyone has done a front CV axle and any tips on how to remove/replace it. My passenger side is blown. I have the new axe assy and going to install it in a little bit after i get off work.

Any help appreciated.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The outer half is a piece of cake, once you get under there and just look, you'll see what has to come off to get it off.
The inner half is another story. Your best bet is to go rent a slide hammer if you don't have one. I know Autozone has them on their free loaner program, so you'll just have to leave a deposit or CC number.

Without the slide hammer, you can try a pry bar between the end of the CV and axle housing. Be very careful not to damage the little retainer clip or it will be hell to get it off and you'll basically have to get it to a shop. It's keyed into the splines of the output shaft and as long as you have it free to move, it'll let go just as soon as you start working the inner half shaft.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:13 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

I just had to remove mine to replace the axle seal and it would not come off with a slide bar or 48" pry bar. We had to take the front diff cover off and manually remove the c-clamp because it would not retract like it is designed to. But the front diff needed servicing anyways so I hit two birds with one stone.

If you don't know anything about front diffs and a slide bar/pry bar doesn't work then get some help or put it back together and pay someone to do it.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:41 PM
draco8494
Captain

wow, didint know dodges were like that, so instead of it just slipping into the front diff or bolting in, it has a retractable i guess cone ring typ deal? wtf for?? with stock travel its not like its going to pop out anytime soon.......

Old 12-12-2009, 12:15 AM
rochefort978
Professional

okay okay so we tear it all apart and getting the axle apart wasn't that big of a deal.. however somehow the clip that holds it in is missing. was gone from the old one and never to be seen again. I have to go to Dodge to get this part and going to have till next week to get it back together... So right now I'm running with no front axle in on my passenger side...

Old 12-12-2009, 10:38 AM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Are you sure that it is missing and not sitting in the front diff ready to get caught in the gears and help with an explosion??

Old 12-12-2009, 01:38 PM
draco8494
Captain

wow thats got to be the weakest design ive ever heard of, if i get my RCSB it might be 2wd so i dont have to deal with that...sorry rochefort

Old 12-12-2009, 03:02 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually, in the past ten years or so that Dodge, GM and Furd have all been IFS (Dodge was the last holdout with the 2nd Gen 1500s) I have a pretty good grouping in my hunting club to study from. Prolly 50 members or so have 1/2 ton trucks, most at least leveled, many with lifts.
The least amount of failures I've seen by far has been Dodge. I've got (and have previously posted) some epic front end failure pics of both Furds and GMs. The Dodge is very strong (for an IFS) provided you not raise the angle of the CVs significantly...

Old 12-12-2009, 03:20 PM
draco8494
Captain

yea, i just dont see the point in having a clip ON THE INSIDE of the front end that suppose to slide out with force..i dunno what it looks like but it sounds kinda like a cone that collapses or something, why not just use bolts....or slip in slip out style..i just dont see the consensus behind that part...

Old 12-12-2009, 07:10 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

In this bad cell pic you can see the c clip type ring on the end of the axle. It is hard to get to so we removed the centering pin and the spider gears.

silver metallic gear oil after about 35,000 miles

all this for this little $4 axle seal

Quick Reply: Front CV Axle Removal/Replace help?