3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brakes slow to release

Old 12-15-2009, 10:51 AM
PURETRUCK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes slow to release

Hi, new member to the forum and to the Dodge truck world.

Earlier this week when I was waiting at a red light I noticed in a reflection that my brake lights were about 1 second slower turning off compared to when I actually released the brake pedal. Being a first time Dodge owner, I didn't think much of it and thought it was a quirk with how Dodges worked with the brake light switch.

I just replaced the pads on the front yesterday and now this has proven to be more than a quirk.

Now whenever I take my foot of the brake pedal, the truck still brakes for that extra second.

I have power adjustable pedals and typically have them fairly far forward. I tried moving them back to see if it caused the same problem and it does.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:50 PM
draco8494
Captain

my best guess, would be that one of ur calipers are sticking, an actual brake job consists of lubing up the caliper pistons..(found this out the hard way) may be worth checking into, but the light guestion is kinda akward....not really sure bout that

Old 12-15-2009, 03:39 PM
PURETRUCK

Calipers and sleeves are all good.

The presence of the brake light delay points me in a pedal type problem, I just don't know where. If it was just the calipers sticking, then the brake lights would not stay on as well.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:23 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

You may have to look towards the master cylinder. It may be sticking a little. It would hold the brakes in position a little longer and it may not be pushing the brake pedal back out as fast, even though there's a spring on the pedal. That's where I'd start looking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes slow to release