3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shaking and stuttering coming back out of overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Chris_8_88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post shaking and stuttering coming back out of overdrive

I am new to the forums. I bought a used 2007 5.7 Hemi Quad Cab Big Horn with 49,000 miles on it. Since I am the second owner, I know that there is no warranty left on the truck. The only thing that I have done to the truck was put new tires on it. I had issues with the transmission light kicking on and the truck on shifting properly and missing gears. It was giving a P0750 Shift Solenoid A Malfunction error. I took it to the dealer and they said it sounded like the Transmission Control Module needed to have a software update just like what it performed for trucks on one particular recall. The service manager at the dealer said my truck fit the recall requirements, but my VIN said otherwise and it cost $183 to have it software updated. I haven't had any issues in over a month, except for what I have now noticed the last few weeks.

I have no problem with the truck accelerating up to 60mph for example. I can see that it shifts at about 45mph and my rpm's drop to about 1200-1500. If I slow down from there to about 35-38mph and I then lightly give it gas, it starts to stutter or shake up till about 41-42mph. If I give it a little bit more gas coming back up from 35mph, there are no issues.

It seems as if it has a hard time coming back into overdrive when its drops back out. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the truck is doing and how to correct this?

I heard from a friend that it may just be a software upgrade as well.

Last edited by Chris_8_88; 12-17-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:56 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
I wonder if it isn't a misfire under load. It should have had the spart plugs changed twice by now. Every 30k miles. Might want to check on that.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 PM
71swinger340

You might double check w/ the dealer on the warranty. I bought an 05 Ram 3500 in 2007 from the original owner and I was able to transfer the remaining powertrain war. (7/70,000) and engine war. (7/100,000 - cummins) for $150.00 through the sales dept. I don't know what the warranty was in 07, it may have only been 5/50,000 but it's worth asking.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:39 PM
circusidiotboy

i have the same problem with a '03 4.7l with 29k. it seems to lug or shutter at 1400 rpm in the 40-55,ph range. it's worse going uphill. it was throwing a cylinder 3 misfire code, changed the plugs, check the injector and coil wiring and moved all coils from left bank to right and vice versa ( thank's weedahoe ). it's now running great, no codes, but this annoying lugging of the engine similar to yours. please keep me/us informed of what you find out. thank!!

Old 12-20-2009, 03:14 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 71swinger340
You might double check w/ the dealer on the warranty. I bought an 05 Ram 3500 in 2007 from the original owner and I was able to transfer the remaining powertrain war. (7/70,000) and engine war. (7/100,000 - cummins) for $150.00 through the sales dept. I don't know what the warranty was in 07, it may have only been 5/50,000 but it's worth asking.
07's had no 7yr/70kmi. they only had Lifetime powertrain for the original owner NON-TRANSEFRRABLE.

My truck hesitated around that speed as well because it was taking time kicking out of the mds mode and lugging in higher gear before kicking down. ACtually it would only kick down if i gave it more than 1/2throttle. It was very frustrating so I bought a Diablo predator U7137 and was able to change my shift pattern, uphift features...etc Made a HUGE improvement.
Superchips will allow you to do similar stuff as well.

While this may not be a directly related cause, the handhelds are worth their weight in gold for the transmission features alone.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:57 PM
circusidiotboy

i've been searching around the site and it seems that this is not an isolated to one engine or model... it's been posted in durango's, 2nd gen, vans etc. some with 5.9's, hemi's, 4.7. one of the last posts i found was a few years old talking about the egr valve going bad. my symptom's are the same, really bad fuel mileage and the lugging. it's like a $40 part so i'm going try and change it this week... i'll post my results.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Chris_8_88
Angry Things have now gotten worse

While driving this past Friday night in some snow, I had it in 4WD and stopped at the gas station. I had been driving for about 45 minutes at this point. When I left the gas station it started shaking like the whole truck was on one big rumble strip. It started at about 50 mph. I slowed down and it eventually stopped, but accelerating again made it worse. I took it out of 4WD and back in 2WD, but it made no difference. I had to limp it home, about 4 miles, under 20mph. I drove it on Saturday and Sunday without any issues at all, but only in 2WD.

I do not know if this has anything to do with the dealership programming the transmission control box about a month and a half ago. Any suggestions now?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

4wd shaking is a common problem....may be an isolated incedent from your hesitation porblem?

If you think your getting terrible gas mileage and it's around 10-13mpg....changing your EGR won't solve that problem. that's what these get around town. Best I get on highway is like 16.
Cannot go by overhead read-out as it's hugely false unless you have not reset it for a few gas tanks.

No codes from all this huh?

Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Chris_8_88

I had my wife take it to a discount muffler and brake shop who her company does a lot of business with and also to Cottman's Transmission. They checked u-joints, driveshafts, and a handful of other things and found no issues at all. They drove it and could not reproduce anything. The transmission shop says that they do not see anything wrong with it at all. Both say the most likely cause was snow or ice build up in the tires. I'm not sure I believe that. I haven't driven it much in 4WD, but it seems to be driving fine except with the issue from the original post above. It still stutters going back into overdrive. I just turn overdrive off now when I'm driving around town.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:06 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

BS about the ice snow inside the whelels. if you've got the 20's like I do....I've never had anything stick inside these wheels. it would be clear as day if there was. Shops like to use that tactic because it's a well known old school thesis that saves them from saying..."i don't know" or wasting more of their time to find a "non-existent problem" in their eyes.

I did forget to mention that i did have a major shimmy getting on the highway one day. MF'er started shimmying like crazy above 40mph. i sped up to 70 and it got worse. i stopped on the side of the road and started up again and it was shimmying just the same the whole way to the parking lot at school. i checked to make sure every wheel weight was on and that there was nothing in the suspension or wheels causing any improper balance. I parked the truck for 15minutes and when I got back into the truck and got back on the highway...Shimmy no more??? it did it one other time.
BUT, i don't have any issue's coming out of overdrive or shifting..etc
i just thought i'd share that tidbit just incase you have a similar occurance.

Quick Reply: shaking and stuttering coming back out of overdrive