3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wiper washer fluid not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 04:33 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper washer fluid not working

Anyone have a method for troubleshooting why I get no wiper washer fluid? I'm not sure I ever heard the pump when it did work so I'm not sure how to tell if the pump is just not pumping or if the line is clogged or could it maybe be a fuse broken? The washer resorvoir is completely full so I know I'm not out of fluid.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:36 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Might be the switch in the column. Have someone activate it while you look around under the hood. You should be able to hear the pump.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just had the same exact problem. replaced the pump ($70 something at NAPA) and works better than it ever did now. make sure you ask for the oem replacement though. i ordered one from rockauto and was sent a universal pump. i didnt feel like splicing wires.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Mike649
Professional

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg
Anyone have a method for troubleshooting why I get no wiper washer fluid? I'm not sure I ever heard the pump when it did work so I'm not sure how to tell if the pump is just not pumping or if the line is clogged or could it maybe be a fuse broken? The washer resorvoir is completely full so I know I'm not out of fluid.
If the temps are cold enough freezing is an issue in my area, when not running proper winter fluid. I think you should be able to hear the pump working at least. Maybe try having someone work the switch while you listen under the hood.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

I finally took some time to look at this. Fuse looks good. I'm not hearing any noise at all from under the hood (with the hood and door open) when I press the stem switch in. The wipers activate like they are supposed to but no fluid and the reservoir is completely topped off. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the switch. And am clueless about test meters and what to test or what to look for. I've wiggled and pushed the switch every which way to see if maybe there is a bad contact or short but got no indication. I hate to buy a new pump and find out it's the switch or vice versa. Where is the pump and how hard is it to get to anyway? Is it under the reservoir?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:43 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Anyone, anyone? Bueller, Bueller.....?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:51 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pump should be at the bottom of the reservoir, you can take it out and hot wire it to see if it runs then you will know if it is the pump or the switch

Quick Reply: Wiper washer fluid not working