3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bouncing when braking and mid-speeds

Old 01-18-2010, 05:47 PM
amcneal7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bouncing when braking and mid-speeds

I have an 04 ram 1500 slt 4x4, Im the second owner and after adding about 8000 miles to the existing 40k the truck started bouncing when i would brake. I was told by some people that the rotors were warped and i had them cut and it fixed the problem.

now about a year and a half later and maybe 15k more miles it started doing it again, i knew the brake pads were getting low and figured the rotors could use a change since they had already been cut once and I dont know how long they had been on there, but probably the original set. I bought all four rotors and pads sets and replaced them the other day, I'm positive I replaced them right, ive done it before but now the truck is bouncing even more. It bounces way more in the back, I can literally see the truck bouncing in my rear view mirror.

Also when I get to around 15 mph and lower coming to a stop it feels like it is trying to get over something in the wheel revolution, like there is a hump or something and it is having trouble making that part of the circle. The part that the rotors goes on (not sure name) on the left rear side looked to be bent. Kind of like a picture frame on the wall, the top was leaning out more than the bottom if that helps describe it. I'm hoping the axle isnt bent.

Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Alex

Old 01-18-2010, 06:34 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my guess it that you have a broken belt in one or more of your tires. when i got my truck it pulled really bad so i rotated the tires and then the rear end would literally bounce at low speeds!
3 of the tires had broken belts! do you have the factory goodyears? because they are junk. try rotating your tires and see if anything changes...

also, if you didnt torque your wheels, that may cause this problem.

i find it hard to believe you have a bent axel unless you jumped it or raped a curb recently..

did you break in the pads and rotors? (if you dont know what i'm talking about then you didnt.)

well, give it a shot... others might have some other ideas

and welcome to DF!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:12 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Yeah, it could possibly be the tires, or the fact that the end of the axle where the rotor sits, if I'm understanding correct, isn't letting the rotor sit where it's supposed to. If you want, I see you're in orlando. PM me and I'd take a look at it with you, maybe just a second opinion would help.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:06 PM
amcneal7

I looked up some instructions online and talked to a friend of mine about how to break them in, he had helped me replace the parts and I didn't know I was supposed to break it in that hard

I know this is more for performance parts and I just bought mopar stuff from the dealership but if yall don't mind letting me know if these are good instructions on what I should do. http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

My next investment was going to be tires because they are getting pretty low but being a student living on loan money its a bit difficult but in the meantime ill rotate them and see if that improves..

cwboyjohnny24, I tried to look up what the name of the part I was talking about was. I believe it is the bearing hub, the part with the wheel mount stubs on it. But that part is what is leaning. Instead of it being at a direct 90 degree angle to the ground, it is somewhere around 80-85 degrees, hope that was a bit easier to understand but I will also PM you since your local

Thanks!

Last edited by amcneal7; 01-18-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bouncing when braking and mid-speeds