3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help! locked out!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:25 PM
irelandshemi
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha yeah i have used a coat hanger several times with minimum effort and it worked out, least ya got in there i guess

Old 02-03-2010, 10:50 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

I had an old Maxima that I locked myself out of at a KFC once, haha. I had a buddy bring a hanger and icescraper to use to pry the door open enough. Ingenuity at its finest!!

This is why I have roadside assistance with both my cell phone provider AND auto insurance

Old 02-03-2010, 11:44 PM
chevyguy1973
Professional

I'll have to remember this thread next time my AAA dues come around. You just never know when Murphy is gonna jump up and kick you. That sucks man.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 PM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

If your were that desperate you should have even smashed a door handle off instead of the back window. Hope its not too expensive man. Also does your truck have an after market security system. My truck did this after I installed my system but I just pulled the module out re set it to default settings then re tuned it and yeah it works good.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:01 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i made my own slim jim out of a piece of metal banding. works amazingly. ill post some pics of it on saturday.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:04 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why do your doors lock when you hit the key? Mine don't until 15mph, and even then I can shut that off if I want.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:45 AM
Trendy Rendy
Rookie

locked my keys in my truck once, tried a coat hanger but it wasnt long enough to reach the handle cuz i got no power locks, went to fountain tire and they gave me a hammer and doorstopper to open the door abit, got it to reach the handle but tore abit of the weather stripping haha

Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 AM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I like my old fords with the vent windows, usually the lock on the arms broke and 1 min with a hanger and your in, but once I was drunk and didnt have a hanger.. so I smashed it, 10$ at a wreckers.. You deff should have smashed a diff window though man.. Like someone else said, Im pretty sure the widows are 1 piece, try and find the piece you broke at a wreckers and see if you can get it in but im very doubtfull.. good luck, now go get a key cut and zap strap it under your truck somewhere!!

Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are several methods to getting into a locked truck. I'm not sure on the schematics of the locks on the 3rd gens, but I would assume that you can take either a steel welding rod (TIG not ARC) and bend it into a check mark, go down the driver's or passenger's side window (Lower weather striping) and attempt to go under the window and push the actual lock up. If you have tint on your windows, this might not be a good option.

Another option that I use is to take either a coat hanger or a welding rod and go into the door jam. You can get it through if you take a wedge or sometimes a claw hammer and pry the top open. A good idea is to take a small thin cloth and put that on the end of the prod too so that you don't damage the paint on the inside of the door.

If you're stuck out in the field and still have that long mast antenna, you can use that as the prod too.

By far the best option is to have two spare keys. One for your wallet and one to stick in a key hider on your truck somewhere.

Ask Pyro, I'm bad about locking myself out of my truck and finally got around to having some spares made.

Oh, FYI, IF you get to the point where you decide to bust a glass, bust the windshield. Compared to the side and rear windows, it is by far the cheapest to replace.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:10 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or have friends with "special skills" in the lock pick industry

Quick Reply: Help! locked out!! :(