Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 3rd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque on the wheel nuts?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #11  
Old 02-25-2010, 01:36 AM
If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!'s Avatar
If you can't Dodge it, Ram it! If you can't Dodge it, Ram it! is offline
Amateur
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Vehicle: '02 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Location: Vermilion, Ohio 44089
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmanz28 View Post
Im glad i torqued them at 95LBS then. I wonder why the haynes manual and the Dodge manual are that far apart. And yes the torque is important because it does warp the rotor if the nuts are on to tight, ive been down that road already. Doesnt matter what brand rotor you use they will warp, thats why i always hand tighten them myself or if anyone else works on the truck i make sure they torque it down right.
I didn't say overtorquing couldn't cause damage to the rotors; I just said that's usually not what causes OEM rotors to warp and I've never heard of torquing to factory specs causing damage to rotors. The point of my post was that they should be torqued to factory specs, not a much lower level determined by one's own concern for their rotors. FWIW, the Buick calls for 115 ft-lbs and the wheel studs & rotors are much smaller than the ones that get torqued to 95 ft-lbs on a 2005 & newer Ram 1500 so I really don't know that the studs & rotors are the only determining factor. Somebody that makes a heck of a lot more money than I and hopefully knows more than I about how tight the lug nuts should be conjures up these figures somehow and I just follow them. I have no idea why there'd even be such disparity between the lug nut torque on a 2004 or earlier Ram 1500 and a 2005 or later Ram 1500. Also, I would think that maybe there would be a difference for aluminum wheels vs. steel wheels but the manual makes no mention of that. I can say that the guy that had my truck before me must have put them on much tighter than the 135 ft-lbs the manual calls for on my 2002 because I had to use a cheater bar on my lug wrench to break them loose, and yet my brake pedal does not pulsate like it should if the rotors are warped.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
__________________

Mike
*Black 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 4.7L V8
*Blue/silver 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Reg. cab 2wd turbodiesel (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-25-2010, 01:45 AM
If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!'s Avatar
If you can't Dodge it, Ram it! If you can't Dodge it, Ram it! is offline
Amateur
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Vehicle: '02 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Location: Vermilion, Ohio 44089
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar6spd View Post
I always do 100ft lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar6spd View Post
135 seems a bit excessive to me, youd need a long bar to break those off!
Really? Your 2005 Ram 2500 calls for 145 ft-lb.
__________________

Mike
*Black 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 4.7L V8
*Blue/silver 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Reg. cab 2wd turbodiesel (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-25-2010, 01:50 AM
chasmanz28 chasmanz28 is offline
Registered User
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Vehicle: 07 1500
Location: PA
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you can't Dodge it, Ram it! View Post
I didn't say overtorquing couldn't cause damage to the rotors; I just said that's usually not what causes OEM rotors to warp and I've never heard of torquing to factory specs causing damage to rotors. The point of my post was that they should be torqued to factory specs, not a much lower level determined by one's own concern for their rotors. FWIW, the Buick calls for 115 ft-lbs and the wheel studs & rotors are much smaller than the ones that get torqued to 95 ft-lbs on a 2005 & newer Ram 1500 so I really don't know that the studs & rotors are the only determining factor. Somebody that makes a heck of a lot more money than I and hopefully knows more than I about how tight the lug nuts should be conjures up these figures somehow and I just follow them. I have no idea why there'd even be such disparity between the lug nut torque on a 2004 or earlier Ram 1500 and a 2005 or later Ram 1500. Also, I would think that maybe there would be a difference for aluminum wheels vs. steel wheels but the manual makes no mention of that. I can say that the guy that had my truck before me must have put them on much tighter than the 135 ft-lbs the manual calls for on my 2002 because I had to use a cheater bar on my lug wrench to break them loose, and yet my brake pedal does not pulsate like it should if the rotors are warped.
I too had to use a breaker bar to get the old nuts off prior to changing my rotors. And like you i wonder why the older rams require more torque, maybe somebody knows the reason why.
__________________
07 1500
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-25-2010, 02:01 AM
mopar6spd's Avatar
mopar6spd mopar6spd is offline
Veteran
2005 Dodge Ram 2500
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2005 Ram 2500 RCLB 5.7 6SPD
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 294
Default

been doing 100ft lbs for the past 2 years
__________________

2005 RAM 2500 4X4 HEMI 6-Speed
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-25-2010, 02:06 AM
If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!'s Avatar
If you can't Dodge it, Ram it! If you can't Dodge it, Ram it! is offline
Amateur
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Vehicle: '02 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Location: Vermilion, Ohio 44089
Posts: 25
Default

Here's something interesting I noticed...again quoted directly from the Haynes manual...

2004 and earlier
1500/2500 models......135 ft-lb
3500 models..............145 ft-lb
2005 and later
1500 models..............95 ft-lb
2500 models..............145 ft-lb
3500 models..............155 ft-lb

The 2005 and later 1500 models saw a 40 ft-lb decrease in lug nut torque while the 2500 and 3500 models each saw a 10 ft-lb increase in lug nut torque. Makes me wonder if the 95 could have been a misprint?
__________________

Mike
*Black 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 4.7L V8
*Blue/silver 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Reg. cab 2wd turbodiesel (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-25-2010, 02:11 AM
mopar6spd's Avatar
mopar6spd mopar6spd is offline
Veteran
2005 Dodge Ram 2500
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2005 Ram 2500 RCLB 5.7 6SPD
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 294
Default

Never had any wheels flying by me on the highway at 100ft lbs for the past few years, Guess I outta up them just to be safe.
__________________

2005 RAM 2500 4X4 HEMI 6-Speed
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-25-2010, 02:32 AM
chasmanz28 chasmanz28 is offline
Registered User
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Vehicle: 07 1500
Location: PA
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by If you can't Dodge it, Ram it! View Post
Here's something interesting I noticed...again quoted directly from the Haynes manual...

2004 and earlier
1500/2500 models......135 ft-lb
3500 models..............145 ft-lb
2005 and later
1500 models..............95 ft-lb
2500 models..............145 ft-lb
3500 models..............155 ft-lb

The 2005 and later 1500 models saw a 40 ft-lb decrease in lug nut torque while the 2500 and 3500 models each saw a 10 ft-lb increase in lug nut torque. Makes me wonder if the 95 could have been a misprint?
Interesting for sure. 95 does seem low for a truck no matter what model it is. You would think the editors would pick up on that if it was a misprint. Imagine your wheel comes off, and you say well i was following what the manual said lol .
__________________
07 1500

Last edited by chasmanz28; 02-25-2010 at 02:38 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-25-2010, 04:52 AM
abarmby's Avatar
abarmby abarmby is offline
Champion
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Vehicle: 03 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT sb QC 4x4
Location: North Eastern England
Posts: 2,780
Default

I've personally rotated my Hemi QC 1500 4x4 wheels 7 times since I've owned it.
I always torque the lugs to 110ft lbs and have never had any issues.
I think that if the lugs aren't torqued evenly to the same specs on each lug, I can see why rotors will warp.
If a person chooses to just tighten the lugs using a bar and not a torque wrench, how do they know if one nut is tightened at 110ft lb and others say at 130 or 95 or 140?
Now that I believe, would cause warping that people are seeing.
Just my 2p. (sorry I'm English lol)
Al.
__________________
03 1500 Hemi SLT 4x4 QC sb DTT NGK Iridiums DMH K&N TMR delete ProComps torsion tweak Tints 20's Cooper LTZ Westins Xenon arches Raider tonneau Prinz LPG VSI system EBC brakes LTZ's 3" T304 exhaust 200psi viair 480c Kong train horns leather int 6000kHID&fogs fox box 2x12" dvd 2x9" monitors
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-25-2010, 06:36 AM
butch1581 butch1581 is offline
Captain
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 2006 Dodge 1500 Big Horn
Location: Neenah WI
Posts: 629
Default

Dealer looked it up for my 06 and said 135 so that's what I have always done?!?
__________________
Supercharged 2006, 5.7, Extractor Hood, Nitto 295-70-R18 Trail Grapps, 4:56 gears, Bilstein Level, Custom Tune, Infinity 10" sub, Window Tint
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 AM
If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!'s Avatar
If you can't Dodge it, Ram it! If you can't Dodge it, Ram it! is offline
Amateur
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Vehicle: '02 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Location: Vermilion, Ohio 44089
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch1581 View Post
Dealer looked it up for my 06 and said 135 so that's what I have always done?!?
Not to tell you what to do, but I would maybe get a second opinion on that and if 2nd dealer says the same thing I'd consider the 95 in the Haynes manual to be an error. Haynes gets much of their information from the same source as the actual dealer's service manuals (I've walked thru dealership service areas and found their manuals open to the exact same electrical schematics etc. that I have in my Haynes manual at home; but I doubt the Haynes manual is as thorough as theirs) so I would like to think they'd have it right. Like I said before, I don't know what could be so different between a 2004 & older and a 2005 & newer. This would be interesting to hear back about...

And yes chasman, 95 does sound awful low for a truck of any kind. I owned about 5 or 6 Chevy S10s/GMC Sonomas before I finally started buying full size trucks and I seem to remember their lug nut torque being higher too; somewhere to the tune of 110-120 ft-lbs.
__________________

Mike
*Black 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 4.7L V8
*Blue/silver 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Reg. cab 2wd turbodiesel (sold)
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 AM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:33 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails