3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque on the wheel nuts?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 PM
chasmanz28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque on the wheel nuts?

Whats the torque on the nuts of the 1500? According to the hanes manual it says 95LBS. But according to the Dodge manual it says 135LBS. I just changed my rotors and want to be sure of the torque.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Toefur
Professional

I noticed this also...I compromised and do 115 all around. Never had any issues

Old 02-24-2010, 10:43 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

i have never tightened my lugs by the torque, i just tighten the SOBs, never had any trouble on any of my vehicles that way....

Old 02-24-2010, 11:03 PM
chrisy1961
Rookie

I have mine done at 100lbs, especially the fronts. Any tighter and the OEM rotors will warp. There are lots of threads on here about it. never had any problems at 100lbs.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:20 PM
mopar6spd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always do 100ft lbs.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:20 AM
If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!
Amateur

Per my Haynes manual, 2004 and earlier trucks--135 ft-lbs, 2005 and later--95 ft-lbs. OEM rotors be damned; if they warp it's because they're made of inferior steel and it'll happen even if you put your lug nuts on hand tight. On every vehicle I've ever owned that still had the OEM rotors they got pitched on the first brake job--they're not even worth getting turned because they'll just warp again, probably more easily the second time around with less material on them. I usually check my lug nuts for proper torque periodically too--I had a Weld Draglite wheel on my Buick Grand National get damaged and almost fall off the car while driving around town because I had neglected to keep up on that. 2 lug nuts got lost and the other 3 were close to coming off, and the wheel was damaged from slapping back and forth. The lug nuts had all been torqued properly when the wheel was installed on the car earlier in the season. Ever since then I check the GN's lug nuts monthly when it's not in storage, and my other vehicles I check whenever I do general maintenance. Below is a pic for those not familiar with the Weld Draglite. Yeah, I almost cried at what happened to the wheel and what could've happened to the car if it would have come off completely.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 AM
RamGentry13
Veteran

i just did mine at the recommended (by dodge) 135 lbs. and i always check 'em about 50 miles after torquing them down

Old 02-25-2010, 01:06 AM
mopar6spd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

135 seems a bit excessive to me, youd need a long bar to break those off!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:08 AM
chasmanz28

Originally Posted by If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!
Per my Haynes manual, 2004 and earlier trucks--135 ft-lbs, 2005 and later--95 ft-lbs. OEM rotors be damned; if they warp it's because they're made of inferior steel and it'll happen even if you put your lug nuts on hand tight. On every vehicle I've ever owned that still had the OEM rotors they got pitched on the first brake job--they're not even worth getting turned because they'll just warp again, probably more easily the second time around with less material on them. I usually check my lug nuts for proper torque periodically too--I had a Weld Draglite wheel on my Buick Grand National get damaged and almost fall off the car while driving around town because I had neglected to keep up on that. 2 lug nuts got lost and the other 3 were close to coming off, and the wheel was damaged from slapping back and forth. The lug nuts had all been torqued properly when the wheel was installed on the car earlier in the season. Ever since then I check the GN's lug nuts monthly when it's not in storage, and my other vehicles I check whenever I do general maintenance. Below is a pic for those not familiar with the Weld Draglite. Yeah, I almost cried at what happened to the wheel and what could've happened to the car if it would have come off completely.

Im glad i torqued them at 95LBS then. I wonder why the haynes manual and the Dodge manual are that far apart. And yes the torque is important because it does warp the rotor if the nuts are on to tight, ive been down that road already. Doesnt matter what brand rotor you use they will warp, thats why i always hand tighten them myself or if anyone else works on the truck i make sure they torque it down right.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

I go 120 on mine. Always have and always will. Never had any rotor problems from it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque on the wheel nuts?