3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.7L Hemi-Broken Valve Spring - Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:11 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no reason to change the retainers or keepers unless you think they're damaged...same with valve seals. You're correct about the intake springs.

They're all plenty strong enough. That is, unless you go with Big Valve heads

Old 03-25-2010, 01:34 PM
FireFighter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, then I'll just order the springs themselves with some extra keepers on hand in case I drop one.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ha ha, I thought I was the only one put a bolt in a piece of wood when I did my e-fan upgrade. I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!!!

BTW, I've got the next model up Husky, I think mine is 26 gal. and 6/9 cfm @ 90/40 psi. Do yourself a favor and let the air out the tank EVERYTIME you are done using it, whether you have an evap filter or not. The internal gaskets are crap and will blow out on you if you leave it under pressure even overnight. I can hear mine hiss when the motor cuts off and will be out of air in the tank in 30 mins. It's less than two years old and been used maybe two dozen times. Pulling the head off and replacing the seals is on my TO DO list...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-25-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:53 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Thanks for the heads up on the Husky Hammer. Yep, drained it each time and ran the moisture out of it. ha ha on the wood, too bad you didn't get the patent on it before I did.

Cool...looked this company up, these must be the ones. I take it you've ordered from them before, etc. http://www.hensonmotorsports.com/mer...tem.php?id=784 Also the Manley pushrods.

I wouldn't think that any retainers or keepers are damaged. They all have 168K miles on them....so I figured it'd be best to change them out as well.

Last edited by FireFighter; 03-25-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:16 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FireFighter
Thanks for the heads up on the Husky Hammer. Yep, drained it each time and ran the moisture out of it. ha ha on the wood, too bad you didn't get the patent on it before I did.

Cool...looked this company up, these must be the ones. I take it you've ordered from them before, etc. http://www.hensonmotorsports.com/mer...tem.php?id=784
Nah, I've got prolly two dozen e-fan posts thru the past 2+ years where I've alluded to the block of wood with a bolt in it, I got you there.

BTW, I have a box of the 6.1s, I think I only paid about $72 from the dealer last year when I had my KRC 210 cam custom ground. KRC strongly recommends the Comp Beehive or Manley springs, but at over $200 for those, I've held both in my hand and the 6.1s appear beefier than the Comps and just as beefy as the Manley's...

Old 03-25-2010, 05:26 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

ok, well, great minds think alike. Yep, I priced the comp cam behive, they were pricey. The Manley push rods are one piece which I like.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:52 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Just wanted to post that my new custom spring tool has arrived. ANYONE needing or planning on a valve spring swap NEEDS one of these tools from Adam. His e-mail correspondence and fast service is top notch. You can contact him at camberadam@comcast.net

Old 03-30-2010, 02:06 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Let me hear your true opinions on buying new retainers, keepers and valve seals. The originals have 169K miles on them. I honestly don't want the additional expense if not needed. I don't forsee them being "damaged" or I'd be experiencing some problems I am sure. But if you think that I should by all means I'll get them.

My new 6.1 exhaust springs and Manely pushrods arrive tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:04 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, new retainers/keepers are not needed. And thanks for the link to the spring tool. It should be delivered any day now.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:43 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
IMO, new retainers/keepers are not needed. And thanks for the link to the spring tool. It should be delivered any day now.
Ok, I'll take your advice. I'm going to at least get the retainers from Dodge, they're only .65 ea. Now, the keepers are $3.10 each! $6.20 per spring...sheesh. If a valve seal was bad, how would I know? White smoke, fouled plugs? I don't have any of that.

Check out the tool I found for my LS1...this is just bad azz..two springs at once:

Name:  LS1valvespringcompressortool.jpg
Views: 3167
Size:  49.8 KB

Quick Reply: 5.7L Hemi-Broken Valve Spring - Help