3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark plug change

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 07:45 PM
Ksanchez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug change

I’ve got a 08 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 with 109,000 miles on it. Bought it second hand a couple months ago and just doin some maintenance on it. I’m assuming the plugs weren’t changed at 100k because there was no service records besides hand written documentation in the glove box for oil changes. The truck was not cared for like I had originally thought. The coolant definitely needs changing plan on doing that this weekend gonna do a full system flush. It started idling rough and I found the culprit when I was detailing the motor this past weekend. There were 3 coil packs that the bolts were almost backed out and starting to jiggle around. The air filter was absolutely disgusting I changed it out with a k&n. The maf was not much better I couldn’t hardly see it it was so dirty and the inside of the throttle body looks like the inside of a old bbq pit. I plan to pull and clean the throttle body when I replace the plugs. I plan on going with OEM plugs but I can’t find what kind of plugs is OEM without pulling one. Any recommendations on what plugs I should use to replace the OEM’S? Also any suggestions on what other maintenance I should do I greatly appreciated. I will also bleed the brakes with new fluid when I flush the coolant system.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:19 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

There “should” be an emissions label on the underside of the hood or in the radiator area that states the OEM plug number. If not there, an auto parts store will be able to tell you the OEM plug or equivalent. Stick with OEM or equivalent. If you have the owners manual, it will state the recommended parts, fluids and intervals for your vehicle. If you don’t have a manual, you can download one for free. Just google it.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:48 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

OE plugs are Champions 570 coppers. Manual recommends replacing every 30K miles, but mine go 50K and still have sharp edges on the electrodes.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:21 PM
theuscfan04
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just changed mine a week ago. Took about 3 hours.

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-13-2019, 10:13 AM
Later2u
Amateur

Change the plug wires while your at it with shorties.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:10 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Later2u
Change the plug wires while your at it with shorties.
There are no wires. It's a coil on plug engine.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:11 PM
Later2u
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
There are no wires. It's a coil on plug engine.
Oops, sorry. I YouTube it. Totally different than 2004 anyway.

Quick Reply: Spark plug change