3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant capacity and mixture

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:50 PM
04LS6
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant capacity and mixture

Hey guys,
I am going to be replacing my thermostat, since I have a leak there, and I plan on doing a flush as well. My question is the capacity on the 5.7L hemi is 18.7qt or 17.7L. So that would be total volume of coolant within the system correct?

If so, I would need 12.39L of coolant and 5.31L of distilled water for a ratio of 70/30 right? Reason I am going with the 70/30 is the climate up here in Canada, we can hit -50oC in extreme conditions....

Thanks for the help..

Old 03-26-2010, 05:14 PM
HellaciousHemi
Veteran

I would ask the local dealers & technicians up by you for a recommendation. Better yet, call the coolant company! If you were down here, 50/50 would be the ticket.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:46 AM
04LS6
Rookie

Ok. I will check with them on the ratio. But how about the capacity? Was I correct saying that in my previous statement that it is a total of 17.7L?

Old 03-27-2010, 12:27 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Originally Posted by 04LS6
Ok. I will check with them on the ratio. But how about the capacity? Was I correct saying that in my previous statement that it is a total of 17.7L?
Correct....If you want to be really specific, it would be 17.6968L

Old 03-27-2010, 03:23 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Found this on the other forum from Chrysler:

CAUTION: Use of Propylene-Glycol based coolants is not recommended, as they provide less freeze protection and less corrosion protection.

The cooling system is designed around the coolant. The coolant must accept heat from engine metal, in the cylinder head area near the exhaust valves and engine block. Then coolant carries the heat to the radiator where the tube/fin radiator can transfer the heat to the air.

The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769), or the equivalent ethylene-glycol base coolant with organic corrosion inhibitors (called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% ethylene-glycol and 50% distilled water to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution.

CAUTION: Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Mixing of coolants other than specified (non-HOAT or other HOAT) may result in engine damage that may not be covered under the new vehicle warranty, and decreased corrosion protection.

COOLANT PERFORMANCE
The required ethylene-glycol and water mixture depends upon climate and vehicle operating conditions. The coolant performance of various mixtures follows:

Pure Water- Water can absorb more heat than a mixture of water and ethylene-glycol. This is for purpose of heat transfer only. Water also freezes at a higher temperature and allows corrosion.

100 percent Ethylene-Glycol - The corrosion inhibiting additives in ethylene-glycol need the presence of water to dissolve. Without water, additives form deposits in system. These act as insulation causing temperature to rise to as high as 149°C (300°F). This temperature is hot enough to melt plastic. The increased temperature can result in sever engine damage. In addition, 100 percent ethylene-glycol freezes at -22°C (-8°F).

50/50 Ethylene-Glycol and Water - Is the recommended mixture, it provides protection against freezing to -37°C (-34°F). The antifreeze concentration must always be a minimum of 44 percent, year-round in all climates. If percentage is lower, engine parts may be eroded by cavitation. Maximum protection against freezing is provided with a 68 percent antifreeze concentration, which prevents freezing down to -67.7°C (-90°F). A higher percentage will freeze at a warmer temperature. Also, a higher percentage of antifreeze can cause the engine to overheat because specific heat of antifreeze is lower than that of water.

CAUTION: Richer antifreeze mixtures cannot be measured with normal field equipment and can cause problems associated with 100 percent ethylene-glycol.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:42 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Plus, you will never get 100% of the old stuff out of the system.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:02 PM
04LS6
Rookie

All fixed up!! The gasket on the old thermostat looks like it was crushed or someting. It looks like maybe the guy that previously worked on it, didn't put it in the thermostat housing correctly. Anywho, it was an easier job than I though. And I replaced the coolant at the same time, with the G05 stuff... This job cost me about $50 dollars and was a quick job to do, under an hour for sure...It always makes me wonder how much the stealership would have charged to do a thermostat change...

Thanks for the help guys, I'm sure I'll be back with the next issue..lol

Old 06-11-2020, 04:18 PM
Robert Le Blah

Originally Posted by 04LS6
This job cost me about $50 dollars and was a quick job to do, under an hour for sure...It always makes me wonder how much the stealership would have charged to do a thermostat change...
Unfortunately, I can tell you what the stealership cost is. They are charging me $340 to change the thermostat on my 2006 Ram 1500. Re-effen-diculous.

Quick Reply: Coolant capacity and mixture