3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Condensor fan not coming on

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 AM
4minc
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Condensor fan not coming on

Live in NC. Have a 2002 4.7 1500 Ram. AC works great as long as you are moving. When you stop, it goes warm fast. Compressor turning on for 10 seconds and off for 5. Refridgerant level is good. AC condensor fan does not turn on which is why I imagine the AC blows warm and the compressor is turning on and off (pressure build up).
#39 fuse is good and I swapped the fan relay with another and that did not do the trick either. Is there a simple way to check to see whether or not the fan motor is shot?

Is there a switch for the fan that could have went bad??

Last edited by 4minc; 05-04-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:42 PM
abarmby
Champion

Yes there is. Give the AC condenser fan a sharp tap with a small hammer, with the AC set to on and the engine obviously running.
If it starts to spin, it's the fan.
Do that or, spin the fan by hand to give it a "kick on". It should spin, but will have very little torque behind it.
Usually, the brushes in the motor wear out.
I rebuilt this motor in my truck and she's been great, for about two years now.
I think there's usually a few new ones on e-bay for sale.
Don't run the AC with this fan not working. High pressure will build up to high temps due to not being cooled. It could permanently damage your AC system.
Al.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:10 PM
4minc
Rookie

Originally Posted by abarmby
Yes there is. Give the AC condenser fan a sharp tap with a small hammer, with the AC set to on and the engine obviously running.
Do that or, spin the fan by hand to give it a "kick on". It should spin, but will have very little torque behind it.
Don't run the AC with this fan not working. High pressure will build up to high temps due to not being cooled. It could permanently damage your AC system.
Al.
I will give that a try. I noticed that the pressure would build up when I had the freon recharge connected. The gage would spike considerably when the compressor kicked on. Good to know, thanks.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 AM
4minc
Rookie

Originally Posted by abarmby
Al.
I tapped the fan a few times and it did sputter on. Looks like I will be getting a new fan. Thanks

Old 05-05-2010, 11:19 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Check out the junkyards. From what I've heard from someone who had to replace that fan, the stealerships and autoparts stores think that little fan is made of gold. He got that fan for I think around $30 bucks at a local junkyard.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:09 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Al. Nice tip on kick starting the fan. I would just hot wire mine to the battery to check it.....LOL

Old 05-06-2010, 03:27 PM
4minc
Rookie

Originally Posted by cwboyjohnny24
Check out the junkyards. From what I've heard from someone who had to replace that fan, the stealerships and autoparts stores think that little fan is made of gold. He got that fan for I think around $30 bucks at a local junkyard.
Charlotte is not real good with having any decent salvage yards and especially not for my truck. I got a new fan asm off an ebay store (starters and alternators place in Ga) for $75 shipped.
thanks

Old 05-06-2010, 04:20 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, great info Al. I'll have to try to find this thread via search if that ever happens to mine. I've gotta replace my compressor cause im an idiot and cracked the rear seal taking it off during my cam install...doh! Didnt realize there was that 3rd bolt back there.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Antairus

Well this thread helped me. My compressor was kicking on and off at idle. Sure enough the fan wasn't spinnin. One quit rap whit the screwdriver and it spun up Thanks.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:59 PM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by Antairus
Well this thread helped me. My compressor was kicking on and off at idle. Sure enough the fan wasn't spinnin. One quit rap whit the screwdriver and it spun up Thanks.
Wow........nice thread resurrection.
Glad we all could help.
Just replace that fan and there's no need to evac the AC either to do it.
Do a search on condenser fan replacement.
I'm sure I posted a how to with pics.
Al.
BTW...my fans still running with my rebuilt hand lapped brush replacements in it lol.

Quick Reply: AC Condensor fan not coming on