3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My airbag light keeps going on and off

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My airbag light keeps going on and off

Hey guys, I am new here, but a friend of mine told me that I could probably find an answer on the dodge forums for a question, since he wasn't sure.

I drive a 2004 dodge Ram 1500 4x4, and a few days ago the airbag light came on and the console started beeping at me or whatever. It went right back off a few seconds later, so I did not think that it was a big deal. However, Friday when I was driving back down to school, it came on again, and went back off, again, only this time it kept doing this over and over and over again.

It would come on, beep at me, then it would go back off after like a minute. Then it would stay off for about 5 min, and then just when I thought it was done and I was enjoying my music again...dinggggg dinggggg dinggggg and it would pop back on haha.

Can anyone help me out here as to what the problem could be?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:49 PM
draco8494
Captain

not exactly sure but it sounds like a malfunction in the airbag system causing the light, i dont think you can get your codes read for free cause autozone or advance only do Powertrain codes..try to reset your PCM by unplugging the batter for 10 min and reattaching it, might make the light go away...if not im sorry to say your going to have to go to the stealership to get the code read, to find the problem

Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

haha alright man, appreciate the help. I'll try unplugging the battery for a little while and see if that helps.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:01 PM
draco8494
Captain

no prob just check back and let us know if that resolved it, and im sure more people will chime in..

Old 01-18-2009, 08:02 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

If im not mistaken i think you need more than 10 minutes off power. Not positive. I do know you want to turn the light switch on to drain residual power from the system. Just be sure to turn the switch off before reconnecting the battery.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 PM
sos
All Star

It might be the clockspring assembly in your steering wheel.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Originally Posted by sos
It might be the clockspring assembly in your steering wheel.
See I was thinking it might be something in the wheel as well, because it seemed to only come on when I turned the wheel to the left or right, like when I backed out of my driveway, and then it would go back off after, or shortly after, I straightened the wheel out and started driving.

However, I really have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever past knowing how to fix minor things here and there.

Also, I have no tools down at my apartment at school, so I have to wait until tomorrow until I can even try anything that would require any sort of tool. Plus it is dark out anyway and I don't feel like dealing with all of that lol.

Last edited by Ice-Forever; 01-18-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:31 PM
sos
All Star

Originally Posted by Ice-Forever
See I was thinking it might be something in the wheel as well, because it seemed to only come on when I turned the wheel to the left or right, like when I backed out of my driveway, and then it would go back off after, or shortly after, I straightened the wheel out and started driving.

However, I really have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever past knowing how to fix minor things here and there.

Also, I have no tools down at my apartment at school, so I have to wait until tomorrow until I can even try anything that would require any sort of tool. Plus it is dark out anyway and I don't feel like dealing with all of that lol.
Well having heard that, it makes it sound even more like the clockspring. I don't know if it is really a DIY thing, especially if you readily admit you are not mechanically inclined. I've done a bunch of things on vehicles and that's one thing I wouldn't even touch. I'd take it to a shop.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Originally Posted by sos
Well having heard that, it makes it sound even more like the clockspring. I don't know if it is really a DIY thing, especially if you readily admit you are not mechanically inclined. I've done a bunch of things on vehicles and that's one thing I wouldn't even touch. I'd take it to a shop.
Yeah I was probably going to run it by my gf's uncle's shop tomorrow and ask him what he thought about it.

I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't something stupid that I could fix by myself with no problem, but yeah...I'm not even going to try and take apart my steering wheel. Not after how lenient I've seen everybody around these forums get about airbags, lol.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:28 PM
dodgeorgethit
Professional

It might just be your passenger seat is to far forward...there is a limit switch under the seat...keeps the bag from blowing your passengers head off

Quick Reply: My airbag light keeps going on and off