3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

07.5 2500 Interior/Exterior Lights Pulsating

Old 06-15-2014, 04:25 PM
8nfever1952
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07.5 2500 Interior/Exterior Lights Pulsating

Howdy, looking for some input on this problem I'm having. First of all my truck is a 07 6.7 2500, fully deleted, running H&S XRT Pro on stock setting. Over the past several months I have noticed that from time to time my headlights will start pulsating as well as all my dash lights etc. I would notice this as I would go from high to low beam alot. I started at the batteries and cleaned the connections and tightened everything up really good. I'm still having the same problem. Over the past few nights I have noticed the pulsing getting worse. While driving the truck my volt meter reads just a hair above 14. When the pulsing starts the meter will read a hair below 14. I discovered that if I turn my heater on full blast after a few seconds the voltage will come up to normal and the pulsing will stop.

Last night same deal. Lights started to pulse so I turned on the heater. The pulsing stopped. But this time when I turned off the heater they started pulsing immedietly. Tried the heater trick a few more times and each time the lights would pulse after the heater was turned off.

I thought the problem only happened when I turned my headlights on. Today while driving (without my headlights) I noticed my voltage was down below 14 again so I turned on my dome light. Sure enough it was pulsing. So now I know this problem is going on all the time, not just when I turn on my headlights.

Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas what might be causing this? Could this be my alternator going bad or perhaps a regulator? I've read other threads regarding this issue but I cant seem to find any solutions. Hopefully sombody can chime in on my issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 06-15-2014, 07:12 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Sounds like you have a dirty or poor ground. Unfortunately there are alot of them. You will have to check them all until you find it.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:18 PM
thunderhawk09
Rookie

No it sounds Like A bad Voltage Regulator In the Alternator Causing that Issue

Old 11-16-2014, 04:02 PM
08smokestack

Has anyone fixed this issue with the pulsating lights? My 08 ram 2500 6.7 cummins is driving me nuts. I can't see any new posts regarding this issue. Everything I found has the same symptoms but no fix? Any useful help would be appreciated. Fully deleted, 66mm turbo, efi live

Old 11-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grid Heaters or Alternator might be the source of the issue... but that kind of problem takes a lot of looking around and circuit testing to figure out.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:50 PM
08smokestack

Not the heater grid. It is removed from the truck. I've had 3 alternators on it and same thing. Even borrowed one from another truck that was working fine. Tonight I did find a ground wire from the top right corner of the ECM to the block that was slightly and I mean slightly dirty. Cleaned it and reinstalled it and seems to be better. Going to look more tomorrow

Old 11-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by 08smokestack
Not the heater grid. It is removed from the truck. I've had 3 alternators on it and same thing. Even borrowed one from another truck that was working fine. Tonight I did find a ground wire from the top right corner of the ECM to the block that was slightly and I mean slightly dirty. Cleaned it and reinstalled it and seems to be better. Going to look more tomorrow
My next thought would be a bad ground... a lot of diesels do much better when a grounding kit is installed. that might be something you'll benefit from here...

You can use dielectric grease to promote a better connection and prevent corrosion.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:36 PM
08smokestack

Ok here are the fixes for the pulsating lights!!! Option 1- bad cluster. Option 2- bad isolated power distribution module (fuse box). Fix? Option 1- Replace said parts. Option 2- unhook batteries and hold cables together. MAKE SURE they are both unhooked!!!!! Hold positive and negative cables together. This draws all power from everything in the truck. Hook it back up and should be fine. Thank you nobody for the help

Old 11-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Izero
Champion

Ok here are the fixes for the pulsating lights!!! Option 1- bad cluster. Option 2- bad isolated power distribution module (fuse box). Fix? Option 1- Replace said parts. Option 2- unhook batteries and hold cables together. MAKE SURE they are both unhooked!!!!! Hold positive and negative cables together. This draws all power from everything in the truck. Hook it back up and should be fine. Thank you nobody for the help
you're welcome....

Old 11-23-2014, 11:00 AM
8nfever1952

THANKS!! Going out to unhook my battery cables now. How did you finally figure out a solution???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07.5 2500 Interior/Exterior Lights Pulsating