3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Dodge Ram Axle Shaft Removal Issue (pic inside)

Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 AM
upNover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2004 Dodge Ram Axle Shaft Removal Issue (pic inside)

I went to replace my passenger axle shaft and when I went to remove it the shaft inside the differential pulled loose. What now?

Did I damage anything inside the differential? Do I have to open it up and do anything?

Any ideas on how to get the two seperated now? Can I pull the stub shaft all the way out and take it to the bench to seperate them?

I did a search and this was I could come up with.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota/238850-2002-half-shaft-replacement-help.html

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram/242966-play-in-cv-joint.html

Thanks
Joseph

Last edited by upNover; 05-25-2010 at 07:15 AM. Reason: change text
Old 05-25-2010, 02:44 PM
PETE_YK
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull it all out, you wont damage anything. Your CV axle is held on to the inner shaft by a clip. A good hit with a hammer should crack it loose no problem. You can re-install the inner shaft without taking the diff cover off PROVIDED the clip is still attached to the end. If the clip isnt there you should take the cover off and retrieve it. When re-installing, a firm hit with a hammer will seat to shaft back into the diff carrier.

Keep an eye on the axle seal and o-ring, make sure they stay intact or they WILL leak. All the 1500 rams from 2002 up are notorious for leaky front passenger side axle seals.

Last edited by PETE_YK; 05-25-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:14 PM
andrewdains
Amateur

I had to do both sides for my 06, it was easy cheezy. the Passenger side was a bear though, really should have used a seal remover instead of a screwdriver and prybar....and a lot of penetrating oil.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Dodge Ram Axle Shaft Removal Issue (pic inside)-dscn0163.jpg  
Old 05-28-2010, 06:49 AM
upNover
Red face My Solution

Thanks for the input. I could not pull it straight out. The CV would hit the A-arm bump stop. As can be seen in the first picture.

Option 1: drop the differential (7 bolts in hard to get area)
Option 2: Grind the bump stop weld and then re-weld afterwards

I chose option 2. Pulled right out. I also replaced the differential gasket where the stub axle slid into the diff. There is a new part number so I think they upgraded it. I did not have any leaks and hopefully, I will not have any now.

Thanks for the help.

Joseph

Old 05-28-2010, 07:06 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

weird. Mine pulled straight out, no problems with hitting anything.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:14 PM
hynes9000

I know on 08' 4x4 the lock gear and a tapered bearing is attached to the output shaft and pulling it stright out would make it drop down in the axle so i had to take the seal and the actuator off to get it and i reassembled it on the bench lol

Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Im glad you chose option 2, its much easier than what option 1 would have been. I had to replace my differential on mine, and those 7 bolts are some of the hardest 7 bolts I have ever had to deal with on anything! The 3 on the very top of it are extremely hard to get, theres no room to do anything, and you have to use a standard socket, nothing else will fit up there.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 PM
BG724

What brand CV axle assemblies did you guys go with?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 AM
upNover
Default My Axle Shaft

I used a GSP Axle Shaft from Advance Auto Parts.
Axle Shaft <-- Click HERE

I know it got bad reviews but if you look closely of the 4 review 2 were from the same person who said

"BOUGHT THESE IN MAY IT IS JULY CV BOOTS ON BOTH
SIDES OF AXLE AND BOTH AXLES (L & R SIDE) HAVE
RIPPED AND THROWING GREASE ON THE FENDER "

Come on everything ripped up?????

The other says something about having to fix splines, sounds like their old one might have twisted the spines in the shaft.

If you order you can get 40% off. Here is how to do it, add the axle then buy something else (to get your total to over $100), add anything else except oil. Then, just enter coupon code BIG40. You can still pick it up in the store, you just have to order it online.

Not sure if you have an Advance near you or not? If not shipping is free (orders over $75) but you have issues with warranty and if it is not the right one, so I would personally not do that.

If you hit any snafuus let me know.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:56 PM
bigdodgeram04
Default need to replace my shafts

How do I remove the intermediate shafts from the front differential?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Ram Axle Shaft Removal Issue (pic inside)