3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Keyless entry or Security Light Blinking

Old 06-01-2010, 04:33 PM
crizwell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry or Security Light Blinking

Sorry to ask a question that I'm sure has been asked but I couldnt find it on the old threads. Anyhow, I have a 2005 Ram with a keyless entry system and perhaps a security alarm. I know that sounds crazy but I bought the truck used and I've never had a vehicle with this new-fangled stuff.

Well my battery ran down rather suddenly and about that time i noticed the little red light which on my truck is mounted below the steering column on the left (could be an after-market add-on I guess) is blinking kind of erraticly but all the time. When its sitting there or when I'm driving. I dont recall it doing that before and I'm wondering if there is a short or something in this system that may have drained my old battery. Now that I spent 100 bucks on a new one I dont want it to go bad too.

Is it normal for this light to remain on all the time and blink? Help!

Another thing. A couple months back I ended up disabling my horn because the horn (security system?) would honk 6 or 8 times for no apparent reason. i live in an apt. complex and didnt want my neighbors getting mad if it went off at night.

My owner's manual doesnt mention any of this stuff.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Maori
Professional

Is the alarm working? Does it go off if you open the door while armed? Umm your horn is disabled. Does the head and tails go off if you open the door while armed?

Last edited by Maori; 06-01-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:59 PM
crizwell

Thanks for answering. You know I dont even know if I have an actual alarm or not or how to arm it. I guess I must though if the horn was going off. When the horn was hooked up and I accidently used the key to open the door the horn would start honking and the lights would flash. So I guess I do have the alarm.

Someone suggested to me that I reset it and that there should be a button back there. There is a sort of reset button behind the light but pushing has not helped.

I just tried opening the door with the key and no lights started flashing so maybe the alarm system is broken. Of course I dont know how to arm it if the procedure is different than just using the keyless device to lock the doors.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Maori
Professional

If you do have an alarm but not going off now then maybe it's in Valet mode. This could also explain why the indicator is blinking all the time.
Manual should say something about Valet Mode for your alarm/keyless entry unit and signs of what occurs when enabled. Should also have steps on how to disable.

Last edited by Maori; 06-02-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:07 PM
crizwell

I'll give that a looksee at lunchtime. Thanks!

Old 06-03-2010, 02:19 PM
crizwell

Well, the manual doesnt mention the valet mode, but it does say if the light stays on continuously during operation to have it checked out. It seems that it should blink slowly when the alarm is set when parked. Mine blinks but it seems a bit un-steady (?) Like a dot-dash kinda deal instead of a steady beat and its not exactly slow or super fast either.

Ive been disconnecting the negative on my battery at night because I'm worried about some kinda short draining my new battery until I get this worked out. That's not going to be a problem is it? I mean its getting charged up (I assume the alternater is doing its job) when I'm driving, but there's nothing wrong with disconnecting at night for maybe a week ...right? Thanks again

Old 06-04-2010, 10:10 AM
crizwell

I ended up at the Best Buy alarm department and the tech said it was indeed in valet mode and he tried a couple of tricks to get it out but could not. He said it probably went into that mode when the battery died or when I dis-connected it.

If the dealer (oh no) cant help me get it out of valet then I guess I need a new system. He said if I just removed the system then I would not have the keyless locks working.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Maori
Professional

Is this a OEM unit, is the remote and key a single FOB?

If so then i would see the dealership. Hell if the alarm is a KARR brand then it could of been installed by the dealership as well by the original owner.

Do you have a part number or do you have a link to the manual?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:50 AM
crizwell

Does OEM mean original by the manufacturer? You know even the Best Buy guy didnt seem to know if it was installed by the dealer.

My keyless thingy has the signal unit which includes a lock, un-lock, and panic buttons but the key is a standard old time key.

"Do you have a part number or do you have a link to the manual?" Not that I know of.

Thx for your efforts SG

Old 06-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Maori
Professional

Yeah, it could be quite a few programming combinations to disable valet mode.
OEM is meant for original manufacturer or the dealership used a outside vendor but sometimes covered by the service department.
I would try another shop or person who breathes alarms all day every day.

There could be some cats on your local craigslist that can run circles around some BB representatives and a lot cheaper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyless entry or Security Light Blinking