3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

05 ram remote start issues

Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 PM
rwpeterk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 ram remote start issues

I recently bought an 05 ram 1500 with factory remote start. The issue I am having is that the fan or seat warmers do not come on until I put the key in. Is something not hooked up or was this just not a feature on the earlier models? I can do without the seat heat coming on but it would sure be nice for the fan to come on and defrost the windows before I get in. Please help

Old 12-09-2012, 10:17 PM
whoamioitsi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 2005 quad 4x4 and my factory remote works my fan just fine!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might need to stop by the dealer and check to make sure the R/S was installed from the factory or if it was done afterwards. If it was done afterwards they might need to reprogram it to enable the HVAC controls...

If you're Heat (Fan) is turned on and set to heat when you leave the truck, that is what should be turned on when you use the R/S...

I know my truck's fan and everything comes on exactly how I left it when I turned the truck off... but I have an 08 and you have an 05, so I am not sure if there is any differences, but I would assume that your HVAC controls should come on when the R/S is activated.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rwpeterk
I recently bought an 05 ram 1500 with factory remote start. The issue I am having is that the fan or seat warmers do not come on until I put the key in. Is something not hooked up or was this just not a feature on the earlier models? I can do without the seat heat coming on but it would sure be nice for the fan to come on and defrost the windows before I get in. Please help
Rwpeterk,

Factory remote starts were not installed until late 2007 models. You might have a Mopar accessory option on the vehicle that was dealer installed or another aftermarket option.

I agree with Izero and would encourage you to have the vehicle checked out at a Dodge dealer for further diagnostics and information on the product that was installed. If you have any other questions or need additional assistance feel free to PM me.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:00 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, Im pretty sure this is after market also.

The reason they do not work until the key is flipped is because the RM module is only getting power from a particular circuit in the ignition. The seat warmers are connected to a different circuit and when you flip the key, all circuits go live.

I had this same issue when I installed my Clifford in my truck. My AC would not come on until I got in and flipped the key. Eventually I rewired my setup and all works fine now

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 ram remote start issues