3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 dodge ram 4.7 hard downshift 545RFE

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:54 PM
redram2007
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to bring an old thread back from the dead, but didn't want to start a new one when this has been touched on before.

Anyways about a year ago this happened to me, I was at a stop sign proceeded to go and the truck died pulled p2074 with my tuner, cleared fault, and no issues again until today. I have always had random idle surging problems going from 700-1200 rpm.

Today driving down the interstate at 70 mph, my truck started downshifting really hard, check engine light came on, and went into limp mode. Was able to pull off the interstate, pull the code p2074, cleared the code with no issues the rest of my trip home.

I just installed brand new oem TPS and IAT sensors last week in hopes of fixing my idle surge. After doing some reading most are coming up with tps, vacuum leak, or pcm. Anyone else have any suggestions? 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 4.7....

Last edited by redram2007; 02-15-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:16 PM
crazyhorsemd

Hlooe,
I hope this helps
I have a 2006 Ram 1500 4WD 4.7 liter
I have experienced the hard up/downshifting, usually 10-15 mph but really hard shifting (up/down) at 40-45 and around 60 mph)
ALL in All. The error code indicated the TPS solenoid plus the MAP. I changed the TPS (got a Borg/warner) at PEP boys around $30, and it solved the problem. I have about 120,000 on the car. It was relatively easy to do , took appx 1 hour (i'm a non professional who puts around on cars)

Hope the helps, many videos on youtube and a Hames manual easily explains the job>

Bryan

AKA Crazyhorsemd

Old 07-17-2015, 12:12 PM
marineldo
Default Tps

Originally Posted by jruff20
ktulu61 I would suggest going ahead and replacing the TPS. I bought mine at the dealership for almost $100 but autozone has them for ~$35. It has been over 2 years since I replaced the TPS and I still have had no problems. It is just 2 torx screws that hold it on and it is easy to get to.
I have the same problem with my truck...transmission is down shifting hard when let off of the gas pedal. Replacing the TPS will fix this problem? How can I make sure that this is the problem before I have it replaced?

Old 11-20-2015, 07:57 PM
ERAM08

My 2008 1500 4X4 4.7 L was at the transmission shop in September where they installed a refurbished transmission (545RFE). For the last two weeks, downshifting has been increasingly harsh, with last Wednesday being the worst. The check engine light went on a week before. Two generic codes were generated, one from the ox sensor, the other also from a sensor on the exhaust.

The truck has been back at the transmission repair shop since Wednesday. The mechanic says there are codes about the engine.

The idle was at 1000 rpm. What's the normal idle on a truck like this? I will talk to the mechanic next Monday. Will post the results. I have spent (invested?) $10,000 in repair/replacement/maintenance this year. I'd hate to see this go down the drain.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:45 PM
GUNNBOAT2
Default same Issue 2005 1500 4x4 w/4.7L

came across this thread searching answers today, so did the TPS do the trick ?
had very similar issue last week, but it hasn't done it again, but I still feel it down shift slap every now & then. I have 168K miles & serviced 1 owner ME

Old 01-02-2017, 01:12 AM
Ramx2
Amateur

Guys these transmission are very picky about their fluid make sure you go with mopar or equivalent fluid. I did my own with Valvoline as that is what is recommended. Also make sure you have changed both filters under the pan.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:37 PM
jfotsch
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought I would chime in on this one due to having some similar experiences with my 545rfe.
The hard down-shifts I experienced were mainly due to having a combination of the Sonnax resistor and my SC trans tune with torque management set.
I also had some other shifting issues due to when these shops and dealer changed out my filters they were not pulling out the old O-ring that has a seat on it.
I started doing my own trans maintenance a few years ago and by changing out that O-ring I have not experienced any more irregular or unexpected shifting.
I read about these trans being remanufactured and they are adding in the Sonnax to them and it makes me wonder if that could be causing at least some of the shifting problems.
I know that the greater majority of people have used the Sonnax without issue but I can attest to it causing irregular shifting so please don't get offended by what I just said because not every truck likes the same thing. I had platinum 4 plugs in my truck for several years because somebody talked me into them and the truck ran great but when I went to change them out all of the platinum was gone???Where did it go? While other trucks will absolutely run like s**t until they change back to coppers!
These transmissions or at least mine only likes the Mopar ATF+4 and you need to fill them to the line with the frame level. My 2 1/2" rake has to be compensated for.

Just my 2 cents

OEM off-road 17's, BFG-LT's, Airraid CAI, Cortex 3950, Magnaflow Y-pipe, Detroit TT, Mag-Hytec trans and rear, SRT A-pillar w/autometer trans temp, 190 T-stat, Pwr. Stop drilled/slotted all 4, pwr wire, grnd TB

Quick Reply: 2007 dodge ram 4.7 hard downshift 545RFE