3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Painting the under carriage...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:31 AM
SilentRamAD
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
Ahhh ! I want the ClearGearz Diff cover Even if that one isn't the ClearGearz, it's still clear !

Old 06-19-2010, 06:46 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Wheel
how does the eastwoods rubberized stuff hold up to salt? up here in canada they're big on putting salt down in the summer..and then the salty air on the coasts are nasty too. thats why im fond of por15...and i dont find it takes a lot of prep work when its gonna put years on your trucks frame lol.
This is my underside after 2 winters here in the super salted Northeast, BUT, i do spray my truck down if it's salted up pretty bad and I always squirt underneath everytime I go to the wash. I sprayed 3 cans total underneath which came out to 2 even light coats. Figure 5 cans for 3 light coats which is what i would suggest doing. I purchased a few more cans to build it up a little more,but it's def solid stuff. Now, you can scrape the stuff if you tried as it's rubberized but not one spot has peeled/chipped or flaked so it sticks real good. I put tape over all of the bolt threads or any thread that would/could later be used. One thing mechanics HATE is super thick undercoating that covers all the bolts and threads. The stuff sprays super clean and looks great.
Name:  P2040118.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  69.6 KB
Name:  P2040115.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  P2040114.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  60.1 KB

The frame itself is sprayed with the shootable liquid, but the airbag bracket is sprayed with the aerosol stuff. Blends in real well although the aerosol stuff seemed to be a little softer prob because it sprays a little heavier than out of an undercoating gun. I used only 1 aerosol can to get the areas the sprayer wouldn't reach,m plus the cans are good for touch ups since it blends in so well and is tuff stuff itslef. MUCH better than the 3M stuff sold at the local aut parts store. I've used both and there is no comparison.
Name:  DSCI0560.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  122.7 KB

Old 06-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Big_Wheel
Veteran

thanks dirtydog.. does it clean up nice? like does mud stick to it?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:52 AM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks guys... i've heard of that por15 but it is a little too expensive for me, and the prep work is more than i want to do...
i really like the look of that stuff frog used, and it is available locally- i think i'm gunna try that...
RF- that diff cover is badass!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:00 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Wheel
thanks dirtydog.. does it clean up nice? like does mud stick to it?
Cleans up pretty well. Yes a little bit does stick to areas underneath where you can directly shoot it with the wand, but for the most part, it's clean anough to make me happy, but I'm not an offroad junkie so if you are, you may want to use something else such as a paint like RF showed.
I didn't want a paint because it's prone to chips and peeling because it's very thin. I actually wish I sprayed that stuff RF used first and then did the rubberized undercoating over the top of it.
I'm pretty sure that the stuff is paintable though which would eliminate the possibility of any stick mud in places like fenderwells...etc

Old 06-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Big_Wheel
Veteran

cool man, i think the por15 epoxy is close to the stuff RF is using.. just not in aerosol form.

Quick Reply: Painting the under carriage...?