3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'05 4.7 exploded!! Questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Castarmax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 4.7 exploded!! Questions.....

My truck ran a little hot, never red-lined, and I shut it off to cool. The next day I tried to start it and it started right up and immediately started making very bad noises. I shut it off and opened the hood only to find a hole in the right side valve cover. I removed it and found a rocker arm and the adjuster laying there along side several pieces of the aluminum head that used to surround the adjuster. the truck has 82,000 miles on it and has had oil changes every 4-5 thousand miles. The dealer just laughed when I spoke of warranty.
I opted to replace the engine and found 1 locally in a junkyard with 42,000 miles for 1500.00$. I was able to see it in the wrecked truck as well as contact the original and only owners.
The engine was dropped off today and I have already been at work breaking the original down. Heads are left on but after removing the Intake I can see that the number 2 Valve is bent. Few questions though...
1st...What the hell happened and why?
2nd I had planned on wrapping a strap around the entire engine to lift and install as I do not wanna buy the engine lifting fixture. Can I leave the intake on and install it in this manner? I'm concerned about bolting to the aluminum heads and using chains as well as putting pressure against the valve covers. Thoughts,ideas?
3rd Is their anything I should do while this is out and easier? I plan on cleaning up the TB, maybe switching out the EGR Valve since its so easy now and installing new plugs and possibly an electric fan.
Last time I did this it was on a Mazda and had somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.7 million vacuum lines that never got back correctly. This engine has what, 4 maybe. However it has a lot of electrical connections but I took lots of pics and labled them all. This should go easier.
Lastly, Ideas about what to do with the old block and spare parts? Considering rebuilding and selling or reinstalling.

Thanks, John

Old 07-01-2010, 12:48 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Do a search on this board and on the net and you will see 4.7's seem to have issues with over heating.

1) Your first issue was you over heated. When you do this metal expands. In an engine where tolerances are already tight, this can be very bad. Some engines will literally sieze up because of the expansion of the metal and then cooling of it.

2) I would certainly pull the intake and bolt to the heads. But can you rent the proper tools you need instead?

3) You have the right idea on doing as much cleaning and preventive maintenance as possible.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Castarmax

Yup I was aware of the overheating issues. It had a 195 thermostat which I later checked and it opened at 194...Did I mention I still owe money to the bank for this truck???

I have a very good set of tools. I was just curious about actually lifting the new engine in with the intake on with straps as opposed to bolting a chain to the aluminum head.

John

Old 07-01-2010, 03:32 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I would look at some Miller tools and see what exactly they use to mount to the engine and lift it out with and go from there.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:44 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

wow...thats crazy sorry for your luck and good luck with the install....ill be watching mine carefully...

Old 07-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Castarmax

I already know. Its Special Tool 8347 ,Engine Lifting Fixture....Its over 200$ not including the Special Bolts for almost 30.00. Bolts are bolts in this case 6" M12-1.75 but the cheapest "fixture" I can find is almost 100$ on Ebay. I think its a waste of money.The question was about others opinions and options for pulling out this engine.
The old engine I could care less about doing further damage to ruined heads however that isnt the case with installing the new one.

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I would look at some Miller tools and see what exactly they use to mount to the engine and lift it out with and go from there.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:18 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Check and see if Inertia Motorsports or Henson MotorSports have some they can rent to you.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:58 AM
Castarmax

Well a friend randomly showed up tonight with an engine lift at 7:30p.m. than left while exclaiming "I borrowed it from work. I have to have it back tomorrow night" In I go into the garage after eating dinner of course. (gotta keep the wifey happy). The old one was almost out when I started. I only had the tranny to disconnect and the motor mounts. I spent the day buying various parts, plugs, PCV valve, cleaning the throttle body, cleaning up the EGR as well as making a Power Wire (thanks Dodge Forums). So far it appears I only made 1 mistake. I forgot all about the torque converter as this is the 1st automatic I've done and pulled the engine leaving it connected to the drive plate. No matter I had already bought new seals so I think all will be ok. The new engine is 100% installed. Only thing left is the transmission cooler and those lines which takes 2 people and the radiator so I had to stop at 3:00a.m. so I got this done, using straps, with the intake on in under 8 hours by myself. Tomorrow I have to work so might not get a chance to work on it but hopefully Ill be driving it the day after or posting asking why it wont start

Now......what to do with the old motor???

Old 07-02-2010, 10:13 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

sell all the good parts that are left on it...take the tb send it to dan the fastman at fastman.com and get a ported tb youll love it...good luck i hope all goes well for you....

Old 07-02-2010, 10:26 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, guys with bad heads look for replacements. I think rebuilt 4.7 heads on ebay are like 300 each???

Quick Reply: '05 4.7 exploded!! Questions.....