3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Magna Flow Dual Cat-back

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:27 AM
dodgegurl12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Magna Flow Dual Cat-back

Im installing the new exhaust tonight! Really exciting, and hoping it goes smoothly. Any suggestions to make this evening fun....and not frustrating?!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:51 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Spray your threads on any bolts asap and let them soak it all up. Also, if the band clamps were tightened alot like mine were, they will have creased the metal and basically pinched them together. I had to use a screwdriver and pry them apart.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:55 AM
nateroach
Veteran

My advise is not to screw with the factory bands and sawzall them biotches. I screwed around trying to get those stock clamps off for over an hour (after letting them set with PB Blaster) and I said screw it, i'm not going to be putting this back in, so why baby it to get it out.

The only other hard part is the additional hanger that you have to add to the drivers side, next to the spare tire. It is a little tricky to say the least. essentially they have a threaded square piece of metal with roughed up edges that you are supposed to put into the frame (through an existing hole) and then thread your hanger into, and tighten with another nut to sandwich the frame between the threaded square nut and the regular nut to hold it tight. the difficulty is getting this square nut into the frame in a position that will allow you to thread the hanger into it. after laying under the truck for 45 min trying to find a better way to do this, I had to just go for it.

What I did was to put the square nut into the frame via the oval existing hole (on the bottom of the frame) that the instructions tell you (show you) to use. I then lined up the threads in the hole using a small screwdriver. I then took the hanger and CAREFULLY lined it up on the threads (keep in mind there is nothing on top of this square nut to hold it in place and or keep it from falling off the hanger threads). I then pushed the whole hanger and square nut up to the top of the frame (inside) so I could touch the square nut from the hole in the top of the frame. Very carefully I started the threads. Once you get the threads started you can then pull the hanger back down and utilize the "teeth" pressed into the square nut to provide enough friction to continue threading the hanger in.

One very important note is to make sure that you have threaded on your standard nut before starting any of this, or you will have the pleasure of doing all that I have described above a second time.

best of luck! it is definitely worth it when you fire it up for the first time after the new catback is on.

my 2c
nateroach

Old 07-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a buddy with a welder just get him to tack that hanger on for ya, it's a lot easier and you know its not gonna move

Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 PM
BigHorn777
Professional

Ok I am looking into getting a exhaust also, but wondering where is the cheapest place to get one of the magna flow dual cat back system? Just how loud is this system? I don't want nothing over powering, just a deep throaty sound like a very nicely tuned charger or mustang??? Thanks for the help, I am also considering the Aero turbine any thoughts? I have listened to a ton of audio clips on you tube but they all sound the same.

Quick Reply: Magna Flow Dual Cat-back