3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

6.1 intake manifold conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Schmeezie
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.1 intake manifold conversion?

Got a question about swaping a 05 5.7 hemi intake manifold with a 6.1. Will it work, is their that much difference in hp, and if not does anyone make a good intake manifold that does. Thanks

Old 09-18-2010, 10:11 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are spacers and modified front timing covers (your TB ends up in a new place, so kiss the stock clutch fan goodbye) that can make this possible, the problem you will run into with stock heads is port mismatch. 6.1 has different shaped and size ports than 03-08 5.7. If you switch to the Eagle heads (09+), these have the same ports as the 6.1. How much are you modifying the rest of the engine for power? The stock truck manifold is good to about 475hp naturally aspirated, so unless you have a bunch of either things done or going to be done, it may not be worth the hassle. You also have to have shorty wires or do the 06+ coil conversion.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:13 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I dont think that it will do much with just the intake manifold, you would have to have a nice cam, heads and headers on there to get the few HP that it is worth, not to mention needing to do the relocation of the plug wires/harness to make room for the manifold, and then there is also getting everything moved forward as the 6.1 manifold moves the thrrottle body to the front of the engine so the cables to it need to be moved and your CAI or stock intake will no longer work.

There was another one that was made for the 5.7 a while back but for the trucks it ended up making less power than stock because it moved the power curve to high in the powerband / rpm range for us to take advantage of any of the gains so it ended up being a loss in power. It also had a $800+ price tag on it as well.

There are plenty of other mods that can be done that will net you more gains than the 6.1 manifold will. What all have you done to the truck so far?

Old 09-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Schmeezie
Rookie

I have headers, full cat back, cai, msd coil pack conversion/w wires, superchips, transgo shift kit, and some other minor things like power wire etc. I'm wanting to get the cnc 85mm throttle body next but was just wondering if their was an aftermarket manifold that, besides gaskets is a simple bolt on, if its worth the money for the power and benefit.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:00 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmeezie
I have headers, full cat back, cai, msd coil pack conversion/w wires, superchips, transgo shift kit, and some other minor things like power wire etc. I'm wanting to get the cnc 85mm throttle body next but was just wondering if their was an aftermarket manifold that, besides gaskets is a simple bolt on, if its worth the money for the power and benefit.
There is an aftermarket manifold, X2 makes it, but it is a carb manifold adapted for EFI. I would not recommend it unless you were going straight race or blower route. Have you replaced the Y pipe? Good headers into a stock Y pipe before the cat back does not make for a good flowing system.

The 5.7 LX manifold (car version) actually makes more torque. If you look at the hp ratings say between an 06 Ram and 06 Charger, the Ram is rated at 345hp/375tq, but the LX is 340hp/380 (390 in the Daytona)tq. This is backwards from the norm, where the truck should have more torque than the car. The 6.1 manifold (also used on the 392 crate and every stroked hemi up to 440 as of right now) is the best one IF you have other mods to support it, i.e. 6.1 or eagle 5.7 heads with ports to match, a healthy cam, good exhaust, possibly upgraded injectors and programming.
The current ratings between the trucks and cars are skewed all over the place after 2009.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Schmeezie
Rookie

Yea I have long tubes that connect rite into hi-flo cats then to a custom dual out the back. I think I'm jus gonna stick w the idea of p/p heads, 6.1 springs, 260 cam, and injectors. Thanks for all the tech info, now I jujs need to come up w like $2,400 plus install for what I want.lol

Old 09-19-2010, 02:43 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

you can also pick up the Drag Pak manifold
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/chal...dp5155288.html
But everything I have read about it says that its basically a loss of power for a truck setup as the truck wont get high enough into the rpm range to take advantage of it. IMO I would not waste the money on it.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Schmeezie
Rookie

Fair nuff..lol

Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had everything to do a 6.1 intake but let me tell you it is NOT cheap.

You need the conversion kit Stu and Inertia sells. It comes with a machined timing cover and brackets needed to clear the front mounted TB and slightly relocate the alt and AC. That kit is about 425

Then then efan and controller. Tack on another 65+

Because the 6.1 intake is so tall, you need either shorty plug wires or 06+ coil packs that fire both plugs and have no wires. Thats another 200-400 depending on how you go. If you have an 06+ truck then you are fine.

Obviously you need a 6.1 intake, injectors, fuel rails and you will need the 6.1 intake to 5.7 head adapters. Thats usually 450+

6.1 heads help but also cost 600-800 and need to have double head gaskets because of the compression

HERE are some pics of the machined timing cover

HERE are some pics of the complete intake

Last edited by weedahoe; 09-20-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Schmeezie
Rookie

Yea, that's a whole lot of work. I think ima concentrate on stuff like cnc throttle body, e-fan, and a torque converte rite now,lol. Maybe when I get a lil more paid I'll get into the internals. Thanks for the input

Quick Reply: 6.1 intake manifold conversion?