3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

slight to moderate power loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Brentb1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slight to moderate power loss

I have an 05 with the 5.7 that is new to me "my first Dodge", I changed plugs "all 16", wires, and coil boots.

After doing it, the check engine light came on right away, so I disconnected battery to reset computer. Since then I put about 30 miles on and light never came back on. I notice a decent decrease in power though.

Plugs I took off were Champion RE14MCC4, they were wore out and between 60 and 70 thou. I replaced them with champion 3570 platinum and set to 44 thou.

I did some research on which plugs and seen that the cooper plugs worked best, Told the parts store and they gave me these; the gentleman said he was a Mopar guy and these were the best.

Wires were replaced with MSD 8.5mm which was prob a waste of money but whatever

Coil boots got replaced with NGK

On a couple of coils I noticed some gunk so I lightly sprayed with electronic cleaner

Oil was also changed with mobile 5w20.

All wires are on tight, I double checked all sensor connections and looked over everything. I am open to any ideas as I am getting a bit frustrated. thanks in advance

Old 05-08-2016, 07:46 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Plain old champions work best. Try cleaning the throttle body. Run a can of sea foam thru it. Did you change the PCV?

Old 05-08-2016, 08:03 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 05-09-2016, 06:15 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The plugs & wires were a waste. They prefer the cheapest copper champions you can find, the platinum plugs were a waste because the platinum coating will literally burn off the plugs because of the strength of the stock coils & ignition system our Hemi engines were blessed with. The "wired" plugs are only for the emissions spark cycle, stock style/cheap wires are more than capable for this purpose. The bread & Butter magic that determines how the engine runs is under the coils ;-)

Clean the throttle body as others have stated (remove it off the intake & clean it!), clean filter, new pcv valve and pound the hell out of it a few times incase the cats are clogged.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Brentb1

Superdak05, those are not the plugs.

I read on this site the cooper work best but the parts guy said these were cooper core or something like that.

Should I take these out and switch them to regular cooper?

I will pull throttle body as I had planned on doing it. I read to use brake cleaner and toothbrush. Do I need to replace gasket?

I figured wires were a waste of money but " and this is dumb" I wanted red wires to dress up engine bay.

Need to replace PCV but will be today.

I am in the process of going over everything and replacing anything and everything that needs it.

So far I did plugs, wires, oil, tranny and driveline fluids, brakes "still need to do front but bought them". I don't see any leaks or anything obvious except exhaust manifold which will be replaced with pace setter headers.

Is there anything else that should be done? I have 140,000 on it.

overall this truck is super clean and 99% rust free

Old 05-09-2016, 03:30 PM
Brentb1

When doing a seafoam treatment do I use the vacuum line off brake booster? if not which should I use?

I am going to take off tb clean it then do the seafoam

Old 05-09-2016, 04:28 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain

Originally Posted by Brentb1
When doing a seafoam treatment do I use the vacuum line off brake booster? if not which should I use?

I am going to take off tb clean it then do the seafoam

Yep, or you can use the smaller vacuum line behind the booster port on the intake manifold.

What I did was take an extra vacuum line along with a plastic vacuum line I had laying around and made a big straw to suck out of the can. Basically you want to suck slowly about half of the can into the engine while its running and then with the rest of the can try to slam the motor with the rest as to shut the engine off. I had problems with that when I did mine and had to shut the engine off manually because my hemi ran through the seafoam slam but it still worked. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes off to give the seamfoam time to work and then start the engine. If you did it correctly you'll see a massive blue cloud of exhaust smoke that will fill up the volume of a city block.

As for the wires, I can't really blame you... I was thinking about getting nice wires just for engine dress up too.

As for the spark plugs, I'd most definitely change them out for the copper champions. I bought my truck in February of 2014 from my best friend, and in November of 2013 just prior to me buying it he had done a tune up on the truck with Bosch Platinum plugs as he had been lured into the expensive is better idea by the arrogant fools at O'Reillys...2 years later and 40,000 miles later I decided to do a tune up mostly because I was bored, I took the plugs out and was surprised he wasted his money on those and with further inspection those platinum plugs were nearly toast, 80-90 thousandths gap and severe wear on the tip and electrode when the engine calls for 45 thou.

When I was done replacing them with Copper Champions the truck really felt on its game and frisky and mileage increased 2-3mpg on the hwy. You probably won't notice much of a difference because your Bosch plugs are new, but in short order they will begin to fall apart. Granted they may last you a bit with no adverse wear signs or obvious running issues, but they really don't help you out at all.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cleaned the TB on my '05 5.7 last week. I couldn't believe the amount of build up it had.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Brentb1

Josh thank for the info, it was helpful and as far as the wires I think they make a big difference appearance wise.

I just finish cleaning throttle body and it was very bad, took about a half hour a tooth brush and a can off brake fluid to get it clean.

I am wondering if you guys delete the hose that runs from oil cap to intake? It seems to me that would eliminate all the oil going into tb and the intake tube.

Not sure if a breather could go in place of the hose or if a catch can could be added.

I have a Porsche that has a catch can "I fab'd it" and I run a line back to block. just a thought

Old 05-09-2016, 09:16 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain

Originally Posted by Brentb1
Josh thank for the info, it was helpful and as far as the wires I think they make a big difference appearance wise.

I just finish cleaning throttle body and it was very bad, took about a half hour a tooth brush and a can off brake fluid to get it clean.

I am wondering if you guys delete the hose that runs from oil cap to intake? It seems to me that would eliminate all the oil going into tb and the intake tube.

Not sure if a breather could go in place of the hose or if a catch can could be added.

I have a Porsche that has a catch can "I fab'd it" and I run a line back to block. just a thought

You're welcome!

I've talked with a few guys about this on the Facebook Hemi Shop Talk page and really the only way to get the intake perfectly clean is to get rid of the pcv system (as it is mostly there to suck emissions from the crankcase preventing them from entering the atmosphere and reburn them via combustion) In the old days they used valve cover breathers on engines, the easiest way on our Hemi's would be to have a filtered oil cap breather. The other thing which I believe is almost more a problem is the hard carbonized EGR deposits, EGR delete might help keep the intake cleaner.

Replacing the PCV system is one that's not often talked about because of emissions reasons, but to me, modding the PCV valve by having the valve stay blocked off and running a breather via the oil cap or a filter attached to the oil cap breather port where the old rubber hose attaches to would be the best way to eliminate the intake gunk & crankcase pressure. This would work great seeing as our hemi engines are baffled nicely because of the oil fill ports going directly to the crank case via the small ports in the head, instead of valve cover breathers that are right above the rocker arms picking up all that oil being squirted off.

Bi-Monthly seafoam cleanings are probably a great idea as well if one were to do nothing.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 05-09-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: slight to moderate power loss