3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Strange electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 02:50 PM
big_b_8888
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange electrical issue

So I have a 2007 Ram 1500 With The Hemi... I have a strange electrical issue...

About 5 months ago I would be driving down the raod and the truck would just die and all the dash lights would come on and the speedo would go all the way over and it would crank but not start until I would open the door.. (You know how the radio stays on and the windows can roll down until you open the door..)

Then it would start up and not have any issues for awhile...

I took it to the Dealership and they said it may be the ignition switch and to remove some of my keys due to the weight of the keychain...as I had alot..

I did this and everything has been fine for the past 5 months...

I am on a Fire Department and went on a fire run today (atv accident) and left my truck idling with my fire lights and A/C on .. I came back after the helicopter took off with the patient and my truck had died...

I turnded the key and nothing ! I still had power to the truck and everything works.. just no cranking at all..

I found the 10am #22 ignition funs had blown and quickly replaced that and was on my way..

About a mile down the road .. the truck cut out and the dash lights and speedo did the same thing again as 5 months ago!

It has been 90 degrees+ here this week but has ran fine up until today..

Any idea what this could be ?

I am thinking maybe the ignition switch needs replaced but I can move it all around when it is running and it doesn't die or anything .. MAybe the chip in the key ??

I just really would like to avoid being stuck on the side of the road

Last edited by big_b_8888; 07-23-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-23-2011, 05:05 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like the switch to me too. I would start there.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:13 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You should do a cluster test. If I remember correctly, you need to push in and hold the trip, then turn the ign to run(not start) and let go of the trip. The odometer will seep all guages and perform a systm check. If anyting fails, the cluster is bad.
I dout that is your problem, but it's an eay check.
Ign switches don;t just keep going bad. Generally a faulty relay causes this. Since the tipm(totally integrated power module) is the electronic group of relays, you might need a new tipm along with a new ign switch.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:49 AM
rzrmary
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eletrical issues

Having some weird electrical issues on my 2007 Ram 1500 Hemi, 4X2 51,000 miles. I bought it in November of 2010 with 25,000 miles on it. Really don't want to be stranded somewhere, and without anyone to work on it, don't want to take it somewhere and get nothing accomplished but spending alot of money.
First noticed the gear display, it was boxing in all the letters and numbers. Read some posts on the forum, and one suggestion was to replace the battery, so I did. Seamed to work for about 24 hours, then I noticed when I rolled down the windows the lights in the AC buttons, were flashing. Then the quick blinker quit working, and just this morning when turning on the blinker both started blinking, like the flashers were on.
Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Strange electrical issue