3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering noise - Need Bleed?

Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 PM
mpd671
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering noise - Need Bleed?

Somehow I managed to replace the pressure line today, and thought I did the bleed procedure right, but have noise that sounds like vacuum when wheel is at dead center, whether driving or parked. Soon as you move off dead center, noise stops.

I keep checking the fluid level between trips (stays ok), and there's actually some suction each time I take the cap off the reservoir - should I have done the bleed with the cap off?

Torrential rains coming tomorrow, so don't fancy the jacking, etc before I pull the camper tomorrow evening. Any danger to not bleeding it again? Can I accomplish the same thing with wheels down?

Old 09-30-2010, 06:38 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the board.

Ive never had to bleed mine. The hoses go to the R&P and cooler and back to the pump reservoir so they are fairly free flowing. The bubbles usually work they way back to the top (reservoir).

However, you can search on here and find both the Service Manuals and Parts Manuals for help and any future reference

Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 PM
mpd671

Still looking for help guys -

Vacuum noise anytime not turning the wheel, regardless of position. Fluid level static, although there seems to be a little bit of vacuum each time I pull the cap off reservoir after driving a bit.

Reason I replaced pressure line was substantial leaks at crimped connector, as well as at the pressure switch - looked like it blew itself out!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:49 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Try this..Turn your wheel all the way left and then all the way to the right. Do this about 10times with the truck off and the front of the truck in the air. Then drop the truck on the ground and with the truck running, do the same thing and that should work out all the air inside your lines.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:48 PM
dodge44mag

POWER STEERING PUMP - INITIAL OPERATION
WARNING: THE FLUID LEVEL SHOULD BE CHECKED WITH ENGINE OFF TO PREVENT INJURY FROM MOVING
COMPONENTS.

CAUTION: MOPAR
T ATF+4 is to be used in the power steering system. No other power steering or automatic
transmission fluid is to be used in the system. Damage may result to the power steering pump and
system if any other fluid is used, and do not overfill.
Wipe filler cap clean, then check the fluid level. The dipstick should indicate

COLD when the fluid is at normal
temperature.
1. Turn steering wheel all the way to the left.
2. Fill reservoir up to FULL HOT level and crank engine until it just starts. (DO NOT TURN STEERING WHEEL).
Then turn vehicle off. And recheck fluid level, to Full COLD.
3. Crank engine again until it just starts, (DO NOT MOVE STEERING WHEEL). and turn vehicle off. Recheck fluid
level to Full COLD.
4. Turn engine on again, (DO NOT MOVE STEERING WHEEL) and let the vehicle idle for 5 minutes. If possible
apply a 20 in-Hg vacuum to the reservoir, while engine is idling.
5. Turn engine off and recheck fluid level, to FULL COLD.

If the Steering gear is replaced ensure reservoir is at FULL HOT level, start engine and turn wheel to left. Stop
Engine and recheck fluid level to FULL HOT. Start engine and turn wheel to the right. Stop engine and check
fluid level is at FULL COLD.
7. Fill the pump fluid reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two (2) minutes.
8. Start the engine. With the engine idling maintain the fluid level.
9. Raise the front wheels off the ground.
10. Slowly turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock 20 times with the engine off while checking the fluid level.
NOTE: For vehicles with long return lines or oil coolers turn wheel 40 times.
11. Lower the front wheels and let the engine idle for two minutes.
12. Turn the steering wheel in both direction and verify power assist and quiet operation of the pump.

If the fluid is extremely foamy or milky looking, allow the vehicle to stand a few minutes and repeat the procedure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering noise - Need Bleed?