3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power locks Quit!! Please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:15 PM
raminator06
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power locks Quit!! Please HELP!

Hey everyone. I just bought this truck a month ago and I'm trying to work out all the bugs.
When I first got it the power locks wouldn't work all all. Checked it out, saw it had a blown fuse, replaced it, unlock worked but when I locked it all except the driver side would lock and then it would blow the fuse again. So I took the door apart. Jiggled some stuff around, I don't know what I did but then it started working fine. Worked fine for maybe about 2-3 weeks.
Now the damn thing won't lock or unlock at any door. The key fob works, (flashes the lights and honks horn) but doesn't move the locks. The inside switches won't do anything either. They are illuminated. Fuse is fine.
I took the door apart, checked inside all the door jams. Nothing appeared out of the ordinary.
Should I just break down and buy a new driver side door latch, since thats where it seemed like the problem started????
But what I don't get is just because that one is bad, shouldn't the others work???
Also...I'm not the best with electrical but I know the basics, so don't tell me to test ohms and things like that. THANKS!

Old 09-30-2010, 07:47 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That last thing it'll be is the latch. Common problem is the door wiring harnesses. Check the continuity of the wires going into the doors. Lotsa folks have had to splice in new leads.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:11 PM
JAWalker21
Professional

Had the same exact problem with my 08 when I first got it. Mine is still under warranty so I took it in to get it fixed. They said it was a problem in the gauge cluster. I know it sounds crazy but they put the new gauge cluster in and everything works fine. May not be the cause of your problem, but maybe it'll help you narrow it down.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:26 AM
oneHEMI57
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, I would ck the fuse clips for pwr when someone hits the door button. if none.
next, Take a hot lead and touch the fuse clips to see any reaction on the locks. if yes.
next, go to the inside of the door panel controls wiring with a hot lead and try to get pwr to/thru the fuse to get the locks to react.

When the fuse blows, sometimes caused when all are four punched the same time, maybe too many amps are drawn, pops the fuse due to too much resistance w/the solenoids. It takes a lot of trace-back to the source after the solenoids are cked to be ok to find the break in circuit. Section at a time.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:00 AM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your not comfortable with electrical stuff find a good electrical shop and have them fix it over just throwing money at different parts hoping it will fix the problem.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:35 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome tot eh board, feel free to click on the Service Manual in my signature below and download the one for your truck. In it there are schematics for everything including door locks.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:21 AM
raminator06

Originally Posted by JAWalker21
Had the same exact problem with my 08 when I first got it. Mine is still under warranty so I took it in to get it fixed. They said it was a problem in the gauge cluster. I know it sounds crazy but they put the new gauge cluster in and everything works fine. May not be the cause of your problem, but maybe it'll help you narrow it down.
Thanks, I've heard of this before. but I'm kinda hoping it ain't, haha. I did mess around with it to look for loose pins, but nothing. Now when yours went, was it the keyless entry or just the inside switches??

Quick Reply: Power locks Quit!! Please HELP!