3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

problem after problem. now battery dead, doors wont unlock. help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:04 PM
mexico
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
electric or not, the door panel would need to come off for diagnosis. You can sit back all day and theorize how or what could be wrong, but until you actually touch and look at it, you won't know what you need or how to even fix it.
we're talking about whether the locks only work electrically, not mechanically. so that when the battery is dead there is no power to the only way they work? so in other words there not broken their just not designed to work mechanically... hard to explain lol

Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand ya know! ;-)

Old 10-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Big_Wheel
Veteran

i think the first then would be charging your battery, getting power and then just hit the switch or the key fob to see if your locks are working- dont pull the panels with a dead battery its just gonna get you no wheres fast! :P and also...have you checked the battery in your key fob, ive had a customer do this and all it was, was a dead remote battery

Old 10-25-2010, 10:11 AM
vinnierap
Rookie

If the key goes in but doesnt turn then the lock might be seized due to lack of use. Happened to my Integra when I put an aftermarket alarm/starter unit and didnt use the key to lock/unlock the doors for over a year. If the key goes in and doesnt turn try using some silicone based lubricant... DW40 might work but it is not as effective. I used a sh*t load of lubricant and the key/lock worked perfectly fine.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Buggsy
Professional

I took a closer look at my locks this weekend after changing the oil. I was wrong, mine are actually mechanical. They are the easiest mechanical locks I've even used. I feel better knowing that I can open my door without power.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:57 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Any lock that takes and uses a key is mechanical

Old 07-26-2014, 08:38 AM
brainping

Originally Posted by Buggsy
I actually think mine is solely electric locks. When I put the key in and turn, it feels like it has far too little travel and very little resistance. I hadn't taken anything apart to confirm it, but your experience added with mine makes me think it's electric.
You are right, the lock is electrical, my key didn't work so i removed the door panel and an actuator type thing had come off the lock cylinder, there are no rods like in the old days. I had fortunately left my passenger unlocked when i took out the battery and only locked the driver door manually before closing it. I read that this lock will get power from the fob but I didn't test it. I would like to know a solution because I am not sure if my battery will strand me somewhere before i can get a new one!

Last edited by brainping; 07-26-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:45 PM
Melissa Shockey
Default Bad battery cable now dying/dead battery smoking under hood now locked doors

First wiggle the battery cable then it starts. Then quick drainage of battery with the cold still jumped it and held charge. Then was completely dead and wouldnt start after driving all day so charge with battery charger the door locks repeats locking and unlocking but it charged until cables came off the next charge it all day start it up and it starts smoking under hood i hurry shut it off and then find all doors locked up and won't unlock? Any suggestions to what's going on and how can I get into my car

Old 01-22-2017, 02:20 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Do you think a person could figure out a way to hook a battery that is good, or a charger to the starter? You have direct access to the wires coming from the battery..

Old 01-22-2017, 06:17 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Wouldn't the easiest first step in troubleshooting be to try a fresh battery?

Quick Reply: problem after problem. now battery dead, doors wont unlock. help!