3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight Assembly possible modification?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 02:44 AM
rob[GL]
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Assembly possible modification?

I was looking at my headlights today, and I realized that the amber section of the headlight is just popped in as a seperate piece and not a piece of the rest of the headlight assembly... What I'm wondering, is it possible to get the very front part of the headlight off? Allowing me access to permanently remove the small amber section of the headlight... It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying "clear" headlights on ebay or something.

Just an idea anyways, anyone know if it can be done?

Old 06-05-2005, 03:20 AM
Avanti
Captain
Default RE: Headlight Assembly possible modification?

Typically, modern lights are a single, "welded" plastic assembly. They CAN be cut apart and the amber removed. I've done so with other make lights and have posted some pix here in the past. But, believe me, having done this it is much more practical to simply buy them, if available. That's what I'll do for the Ram, should the one I've ordered ever arrive. I'd only do the job myself IF nothing was commercially available.

If you want to do this, I'd strongly suggest getting a salvage yard unit to experiment with. Use a razor saw to cut open the light, and you may find that you have to substitute a clear or frosted refractor for the amber depending on how "unsightly" the area behind the amber is. Naturally, this makes the job more complex because the amber reflector is usually "welded" in place and has to be be broken to get out, making it of less than optimum value as a template--to say the least.

If you want to try this yourself don't hesitate to e-mail me for more specifics if I can help.

All the best.

Old 06-05-2005, 04:36 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Okay Avanti, thank you for your advice, now let me prove you wrong... Here are some photo's I just took with my CANON POWERSHOT SD200 DIGITAL ELPH, in MACRO... As you'll plainly see (and as previously stated) the amber section of the headlights on my RAM are NOT plastic-welded, there are 3 small plastic "clips."

[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/0FACEFE3ED464D7181325EEAFA67B817.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2005, 04:37 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Here are a couple of the MACRO's.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/17158990A38B4523874C9A305A2BC19B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/E7B8703DF0834DBBAAB31FF5FDDAE936.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/5581304ED2444396BB30916E5F78935B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2005, 04:39 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

The next 2 photos are;

A - A picture as close to "behind" the amber as I could get... It's a small chrome "channel" and I think it would look AWESOME without the amber clipon...

B - The top of the amber section, you can clearly see it is NOT plastic welded.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/2A2133CAB0744A098F23EA37B01DF642.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9346/1558F835FB244422804E36CE88B524D4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2005, 04:41 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

I wasn't trying to be an *******, and I certainly hope I don't come across as sounding arrogant, I just know what I saw when I made the original post, and it bugged me that I had to go get photo's... But I suppose this just makes it easier for everyone to understand what I wish to do...

Now my original question still stands... How hard is it to get the headlight assembly out of my truck? And how hard is it to open the headlight assebly? Removing the amber will be the easy part. I don't want to **** up my headlights, because really I can't afford to replace them.

I remember removing the headlight assembly on my fathers 1996 Dodge RAM, and it was pretty easy...

Old 06-05-2005, 04:50 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Removing the headlight assembly is really easy, just a couple of bolts. The problem is how to get into the light to get at the amber sidemarker. The housing is a factory sealed plastic unit that is not supposed to be servicable. It will take a very sharp exacto and a steady hand to "split it apart" and not mess up the light. That is the point that Avanti was getting at. Then you have to glue it back up and hope that there are no pin holes to fog it up. That is why he suggested getting one from a wrecking yard first incase you mess up. Avanti has done this before on other models and was willing to lend you some advise. We understand what you are trying to do. Personally, I'd rather buy a set that was already made so I didn't have to fool with splitting the headlight or possibly my hand with the exacto knife as that is how my luck usually runs.

If you do this, take detailed pics and make a guide for it to post here. Good luck and be careful!

Old 06-05-2005, 07:14 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

DONE AND DONE

Here come directions and pictures...

Old 06-06-2005, 01:09 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Sweet.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Avanti
Captain

Rob:

No problem. I don't mind being "wrong" when it is something that benefits all modders. As I think I made clear, I had only done this on other vehicles. See my post on your other (how to) thread, as well.

As for you "having to get photos," that was completely up to you. I was simply trying to offer the benefit of my experience in another context, as noted. I wasn't trying to make it a competition.

Again, thanks for your work and posts. I wish this mod were so easy on all cars and trucks I buy!

All the best.

Quick Reply: Headlight Assembly possible modification?