3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

HID Problems And Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:41 AM
jays04ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Problems And Solutions

i have a HID high low kit installed on my truck (04 Ram). if i put the high beams on the lights go out. i think i need some kind of diode or something. ive looked through all of the forums and cant find a solution. if anyone has a way to solve this problem please let me know thanks

Old 11-05-2010, 07:19 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You didnt look too hard here because we have TONS of threads on issues with HIDs and Dodge ram trucks.

Our trucks PCM and FCM read a resistance measurement through the headlight and tail light bulb filaments. When a filament blows the resistance drops and this lets the PCM/FCM know a bulb is out and two things happen here.

1) the modules reduce voltage and
2) the Lamp Out on the dash comes on to notify the driver

So because HIDs are gas filled and not a filament type bulb, when you plug them in the PCM/FCM module does not see "bulbs" and those two things stated above happen.

But because the voltage has been reduced, the HID kits will normally strobe or flicker.

The OEM filament type bulbs are 55w/65w bulbs. One the headlight harness plugs there are three wires. There is the low beam (12v), the high beam (12v) and the common (-).

So my taking 50 watt load resistors and adding them onto the HID harnesses, we can used them to replicate the resistance needed to trick the PCM/FCM into thinking there are bulbs there and that will reciprocate the two issues stated above. In other words, full voltage will be supplied and no Lamp Out light on the dash.

Specifically, the resistors get wired as such. We know there are two ends to each resistor and there are three wires on each headlight. Take one load resistor and splice it to the low beam (12v) wire and the other end to the common (-) wire. The other resistor goes with one end spliced to the high beam (12v) wire and the other to the same common (-) wire.

You can find load resistors on ebay. I have pics of mine in my signature links

Old 11-06-2010, 03:55 AM
jays04ram

thanks but i have no problems with the lamp out i saw lots of posts on that and have taken care of that a long time ago. my problem is getting them to work on the high beams. if i hold the high beams on they work fine but if i flick the high beams to stay on without holding the switch they go out. i need a diode of some kind between the high and low power wires to give power to the balast. need diodes not resistors. my headlights dont flicker and i dont have a "lamp out"

Old 11-06-2010, 09:04 AM
The Cank
Professional

So What brand of 50 watt load resistors did you use and is there any other place than e bay to get them. My headlight doesn't show a bulb out but when I fire mine up ( if I am not moving ) the passenger side light flicker once or twice and the "lamp out" light comes on for a split second then it lights up and works fine. I can't help but think I have reduced voltage like stated above.Also if I am driving ( not at a stop or something) it seems to light up just fine , no flicker what gives with that ?

Old 11-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Invigor

Beamershids.com has come out with a harness that is just plug and play to go with their hid light kit. No need for any rewiring and it solves all the problems you will encounter.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:38 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

cant even find a spot for pricing on that site

Old 11-07-2010, 01:21 AM
jays04ram

i got 20 watt resistors from radioshack and it solved the lamp out problem and they were like $3 its the cheap way if you can wire them up yourself

Old 11-08-2010, 12:12 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah RS has those 20 watters for a few bucks but I dont like those. Some work for some guys and others need more. At least the 50 watt load resistors on ebay have heat sinks but thats because they do get hot.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:11 AM
The Cank
Professional

Just got an email back from beamershid. 215 for the low hid and halogen for the brights or 290 for both high and lows HID. My question is... isn't the light from the high beam to the regular beam the same brightness when you go to HID's? Or is the "brights" HID brighter than the regular.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:55 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

That is WAY TOO HIGH.

Look here for our vendor HIDextra

I have had two of their kits with zero issues

Last edited by weedahoe; 11-09-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Quick Reply: HID Problems And Solutions