3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 10:56 PM
Hitman0625
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need help... Have a 2006 ram 2500 with HID headlights and foglights. I put the wiring relay harness on the headlights as well as the resistors to prevent shutoff and flickering. The headlights have worked great for over a year until last night.

I was repairing the door wiring harness issue that a lot of members have on here with the cut wires in the door. After I fixed the issue with the door my lights flickered a few times and turned off. When the truck is off they work fine but when the engine is running they turn off. The resistors aren't hot anymore as if they aren't running. Is it a coincidence that the resistors got shorted somehow when I was working on my door harness?

Old 03-20-2014, 12:17 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I am 99% it has nothing to do with your door wiring.

If they work when the truck is off then you know the bulbs, ballast and power/wiring is good.

If they do not work with the engine running (AKA key on) and the resistors are not getting hot, then they might be defective.

Isolate them and check with them a VOM meter

Old 04-15-2014, 03:36 AM
jackiesun2002

recently, i just installed hid for my 07 ram 1500, is a bi-xenon H13, i put both relay and 4 load resister, 2 50w 6ohm resister each side, it works great at first, but only works like 2 or 3 day till tonight, i turned my headlight on at night, the light was flashed 3 or 4 times, and then shut itself off, but if i turn the switch back to off, the headlight back again. i re-read some post, that i found may be is can bus problem, but funny is i had 4 resister on both side, and it is work for 2 or 3 day without any problem. can some point out any solution/ideas? thx

--jackie

Old 04-15-2014, 08:46 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What brand wiring harness and load resistors did you buy?

Some of the cheaper ones on Ebay or Online in general are junk to begin with and short out internally causing you big headaches...

Personally The Retrofit Source Mopar specific harness is what I used and it's worked perfectly for me, it's likely an issue with the harness or one of your ground connections.

Always make sure you have a VERY good Ground connection.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome to the site.

Start simple. If you turn the headlights on with the key off, do they work?

If so, then you have a connection issue most likely at the load resistors or a bad load resistor.

If not, then disconnect one ballast and one bulb and we directly to the battery. Does that work?

If so then your ballast and bulb are good and you have a wiring problem.

If not then you have a ballast or bulb problem

Old 04-15-2014, 04:34 PM
paulturner911
Default HID Lampout

Its my understanding that my 2004 is not a canbus vehicle....That said I would like to know if there are any plug and play solution for my lamp out in the dash. I see the cancelers but they reference canbus (im not) I see people saying solder in resistors (worked on my interior leds) but I havent seen pics of where to do so in the truck (after the harness before the ballast) and Id really like a PNP option

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2014, 05:10 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

These make it PnP and keep the Lamp Out off

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151096229891

Old 04-16-2014, 12:04 AM
jackiesun2002

the harness is come with my hid kit, and i have no idea what brand it is. but i don't that the problem.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 AM
jackiesun2002

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Welcome to the site.

Start simple. If you turn the headlights on with the key off, do they work?

If so, then you have a connection issue most likely at the load resistors or a bad load resistor.

If not, then disconnect one ballast and one bulb and we directly to the battery. Does that work?

If so then your ballast and bulb are good and you have a wiring problem.

If not then you have a ballast or bulb problem
the headlights works great with the key off, both low and high beam. do you think the resistors can be broken if it is too hot? cause my lights works like 2-3day without any problem.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jackiesun2002
the headlights works great with the key off, both low and high beam. do you think the resistors can be broken if it is too hot? cause my lights works like 2-3day without any problem.
I think you've got a defective ballast, and/or load resistors.

Where did you purchase the kit? Do the ballasts have a model number or brand name on them? If so what is it?

Quick Reply: Got *HID* Problems? Check in here...