3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Are Hemi engines designed to run best exclusively on Pennzoil Motor oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 04:02 PM
LoneStarHemiLover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Hemi engines designed to run best exclusively on Pennzoil Motor oil?

I've heard several people claim that the 5.7 Hemi engine was designed to run its best on Pennzoil, is this true? Because I've ran Castrol in all the hemis I've ever owned and have never had an issue whatsoever. Is there more to this? Because I've always heard Pennzoil is a trash oil that will sludge up an engine just like quaker state. Castrol Has always left my engines clean upon visual inspection's at oil changes and all but I'm looking for the real answer. Was there a backroom deal between Dodge and Pennzoil I never heard about? Also I've never had any wear or oil pressure issues running Castrol versus Pennzoil so what do you folks think?

Old 03-04-2020, 06:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Use the correct weight oil from the manufacturer of your choice, and change it when it needs it, and any oil will be just fine.

The following users liked this post:
LoneStarHemiLover (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 10:56 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

No lol....like he said, correct weight with almost any oil will do, though I tend to stay away from generic brand oils and I'm definitely a proponent of synthetic. If you look at the oil cap of a 6.1 hemi, it says "Mobil1" right on it:

Last edited by Magnoom; 03-04-2020 at 11:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LoneStarHemiLover (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 11:22 PM
LoneStarHemiLover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was curious because I put Castrol high mileage 5w 30 in instead of the 5w 20 and at idle even though it still runs totally fine, it threw a P0524 low oil pressure code. So I'm thinking just change the oil to the correct weight, delete the code and roll on. Guage reads good at idle and everything.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:53 AM
KillerLemming
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The band doesn't really matter. Just Make sure you use the correct oil. I've always used Valvoline in my trucks

Quick Reply: Are Hemi engines designed to run best exclusively on Pennzoil Motor oil?