3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ham Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 01:53 PM
MythX
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ham Radio Install

Hi everyone. I just picked up a 2008 Ram Quad Cab. The first thing I need to do is to install my ham radio. I need to run power directly from the battery. What's the best way to route a line from the battery into the cab? In my Explorer, I had to drill a hole under the foot rest pad for the left foot. I was hoping Dodge had thought ahead and provided me a convenient route.

Secondarily, I would like to connect a relay so the radio comes on when the truck is on. I'll probably power the relay from power to the stereo. Is there better way of doing this?

Truck is an SXT 4.7. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Old 04-05-2020, 03:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

How much power does your radio want?? Don't think it would be too difficult to just tap into an existing circuit, that is already switched. Maybe the power outlets?

Old 04-05-2020, 04:06 PM
MythX

Thanks for the reply. I think the radio needs 20 amps. Unfortunately ham radios are sensitive to electrical noise and best practice is to power them directly from the battery.

Thanks though. I wish it was that simple.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

There *might* be a plugged hole that the clutch rod would normally go thru on the firewall. Just to the drivers side of the brake booster somewhere. (probably cleverly concealed under something........) It should just have a rubber or plastic plug in it, that you can poke a hole thru, and run wires that way.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:32 PM
MythX

Sure enough, there it is. Looks like someone has already run wires through it too, made it easy to find. That's going to make this a piece of cake. Now I just need to figure out where I want to mount the radio.

Thanks for the help. I'm absolutely loving this truck.

Old 04-10-2020, 03:44 PM
pickford78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed one in mine. I screwed mine down directly over the passenger cup holder and ran the wires behind the dash. As for going through the clutch cover plate, That's where I went through. I drilled a 7/8" hole, then used a plastic bushing used by electricians in knockouts. I then sealed around my wires with duct seal.

Getting a VHF antenna mount for the hood in Canada was looking very pricey, so I just bent my own out of stainless sheet, and used the fender mounting bolt to hold it in place. Seems to hold it well, and ground it nicely too.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:26 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 573 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by MythX
Sure enough, there it is. Looks like someone has already run wires through it too, made it easy to find. That's going to make this a piece of cake. Now I just need to figure out where I want to mount the radio.

Thanks for the help. I'm absolutely loving this truck.

It's been years since I worked with these radios. A few tips on your install. Some clear silicone around the wires to seal out water is a good idea. Get some mesh ground straps and add one or two from your hood to fender. This will keep the ground plane steady. Anything else I could tell you, you probably know if you have your Amateur license.

Quick Reply: Ham Radio Install