3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with Halo projectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 04:29 PM
neil300zx
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Halo projectors

Ive just bought a set of halo projector headlights and was wondering where in the engine bay would i find an ignition source to wire the halos and LEDs so they are on when the ignition is on

Cheers

Old 11-10-2010, 04:41 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Most usually tie those into the parking lights so they are able to be switched on/off.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:46 PM
neil300zx
Rookie

I did think about that but that would mean switching the side lights on via the switch, i was thinking that i could fit a switch in the cab so i could switch them off if i wanted but under normal driving they would be on just via the ignition

Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm not sure i understand you? If you tie them into your parking lights, anytime you have your parking lihgts on, they will be on. You musthave your parking lights on to turn your headlights on, so they will be on then as well. Same with the foglights. You need your parking lights on to activate the fogs, so they will be on then as well.
I don't think you really wnt them on in the middle of a bright sunny day do you?

If you want a switch to turn them on/off, just go grab a 10 or 15A switch at the parts store and run a fused 5a line from the battery to the switch and then from the switch to the lights. Easy as pie. No need for a relay with that low of power consumption.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:08 PM
neil300zx
Rookie

In the UK the LEDs are permanently on regardless of the weather, i think they run off some sort of forward motion sensor, not that i will be installing a motion sensor but i thought it would be good to have the halos on as well, if i find an ignition source in the engine bay i could wire directly to that then when i start the engine they would be on rather than having to remember to switch the side lights on, i could run back to the steering column and take it from there

Cheers

Old 11-10-2010, 05:11 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

LED's or parking lights? You can have them on whenever you want really. Parking lights are separate than Daytime running lights too if that's what you are reffering to?

If you have a multimeter, you could probe wires going into your fusebox to find ignition switched wires. if you go that route, I would highly reccomend installing a diode from the tapped ignition line to your lights line.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:15 PM
neil300zx
Rookie

What do you class as parking lights is that the small bulb that we call side lights, and yes the LEDs are day running lights

Old 11-10-2010, 05:37 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Parking lights are the amber lights up front and are also in the back. Also called running lights. You have a headlight ****. One click and you are on your parking lights and then can activate your foglights. The next click is your headlights.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:41 PM
neil300zx
Rookie

we don't have the orange light ours are white (side lights) parking lights, one click on side light 2 clicks headlight, you mentioned a resistor if i wire directly in to ignition source, for what reason?

Old 11-10-2010, 05:50 PM
neil300zx
Rookie

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I don't think you really wnt them on in the middle of a bright sunny day do you?
You must be having a laugh, bright sunny day in the UK, only once in a blue moon lol

Quick Reply: Help with Halo projectors