3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY replacement of the door position pawl

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 04:23 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default DIY replacement of the door position pawl

You know that thing that holds it in the two open positions for you? It's got a bushing, appears to be either nylon or some type of plastic on it. In my case that bushing wore out. It's a riveted together piece so non serviceable.

But not really.

Step 1.) Identify the failed piece
DIY replacement of the door position pawl-i5nvnse.jpg

Now the following step should be done with the hinge off the truck but I needed to use the truck for a day or so, but wanted to collect parts in the mean time, so yeah. Paint is fine, no worries.

Use a dremel with a large cut off wheel to carefully cut the flared top of the pin off.

DIY replacement of the door position pawl-5nskxhj.jpg

Use a center punch to drive the pin down and out. I used a center punch since, on the vehicle, the only angle you can hit the punch at is slightly tilted, so the center punch holds it steady. [Not pictured]

With the pin removed you'll need to extract the spring. I discovered you can do this by shutting the door with that pin driven out (accidentally)

Take the worn piece out, remove any remnants of bushing and drill the hole out to 1/2 inch. It's extremely, extremely hard steel. You *will* need a tungsten carbide bit to enlarge the hole.

Press in the new bushing and trim about 1 cm from the bottom

DIY replacement of the door position pawl-uyapz2z.jpg

With the hinge off the vehicle, enlarge the top and bottom holes of the bracket to 3/8 inch to accept the new shoulder bolt.

Install the hinge, align door, enjoy your uber affordable fix.

DIY replacement of the door position pawl-qxicbzp.jpg

Parts list

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...d=887480115116

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bol...d=030699577385

And a Grade 8, 3/8 by 3 1/2 inch cap screw with the long shoulder on it.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:39 PM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats cool.
Ive just this week discivered that my drivers side doors bushing is worn.
Will have to try you fix��

Quick Reply: DIY replacement of the door position pawl