3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power steering shot...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Ryano8907
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering shot...

Ok so I have a 2006 ram 1500 megacab 4x4. I have had power steering trouble for the past year almost. I originally changed the pump and it worked about 6 months perfect. Ever since then pumps have been going out pretty often so I replaced my steering gearbox. Well now that there is a fresh gearbox and pump it pours/sprays power steering fluid from behind the pulley when under pressure. I'm not sure where it's originating from as it's hard to see there with the engine running. Any ideas?

Old 12-18-2010, 06:54 PM
SeanW727
Professional

Is there a crack in your reservoir? If not it could be your pump thats going again. Not sure if your pump is a 1 piece or a two piece (my new truck its a 1 piece) but my old one was a 2 piece where u kept re-using your old reservoir ... Does it pour out more if your turning the wheel left to right and putting pressure on the pump?

Old 12-19-2010, 02:26 AM
Ryano8907

It is 2 piece and yeah it only sprays when under pressure from turning the wheel. My guess was the connection where the reservoir slides into the pump is bad somehow although I did change the o-rings. I can't actually see any spot where it leaks so I'm thinking it's that joint and the bracket is hiding it. I'm also suspect to oreillys giving me a bad pump which had happened twice before and since it's leaked since I installed it. They are fighting with me when I try to warranty now even though I have seen it leaked from bolts on the pump on other installations.

Quick Reply: Power steering shot...