3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

loud clunking noise coming from front end

Old 01-03-2011, 03:12 PM
james1979us
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud clunking noise coming from front end

need help, when slowing down i have a loud clunking sound coming from the front end. I have replaced brakes and rotors, have taken it in to the shop and had the wheel hub replaced and it is still making this noise. I have opened up the front pumpkin and all gears appear to be in good shape. Could this noise be the cv axle??? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:14 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Geez post and run... Where did ya go so soon? Only been less than a minute and your logged off?
More info please. is this clunk felt in the pedal or is it just a noise?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:19 PM
james1979us

sorry about that, wireless internet. i have felt it in the pedal the first time it happened but really haven't felt it in the pedal since. it also is terribally worse when i put it in 4 wheel drive.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:44 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I would reccomending marking your driveshaft for removal and lubing up the splines on both T-case and transmission as i supsect that is the cause of your clunk.
Make sure your u-joints are good too.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 PM
SeanW727
Professional

Sounds like it could be a cv axle... Is it worse when moving along... or first starting from a full stop.... Does it change along with your speed? Have you tried putting the truck up on jackstands (front and rear)... And putting it in drive to duplicate the sound (in 2wd and 4wd) ...Remember dont just jack up one side when in 4wd... because the other wheels will still try to spin and pull your truck right off the jack stands.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:19 PM
james1979us

Appreciate the advice, i will try putting it up on jack stands and try pinpointing the noise and will repost. It will be this upcoming weekend though. Again thanks for the advice.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 AM
james1979us

ok, so now my question is......when i put the truck in 4hi or low this sound gets 10 times worse than when it is in just 2h. I'll take it out of 4h and the sound is still there BUT it not nearly as bad. I have noticed that the seal where the shaft goes into the diff. is leaking.....my question is could that be the problem? Could it be possible that the front diff fluid is leaking enough so as it is constantly low on fluid and making the cv axle sound like it is binding up????? I have the cv axle to replace and the seal but if i really don't need to replace the cv axle i could save some money and take it back. Thanks

Old 01-07-2011, 12:21 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

The leaky seal wouldn't cause harsh engagement and stopping issue's, BUT would be an issue is if you were low on flud and there is wear associated with that.
Have you checked your fluid levels?
I still think it's lack of lube in the splines of your driveshaft. Engaging 4wd locks the transfercase which puts additional pressure on the driveshaft output of the transmission. This is a common issue some of the Jeep guys have come across so I don't think it's completely out of the element of problematic causes and makes the most sense. If it were a cv shaft, you wouldn't feel anything in 2wd unless there is a blatent problem such as bind. grab your front CV's and give them a hard push/pull and if they move they are bad. They should not move. If so, replace and then re-diagnose.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
james1979us

ok, i took out the cv axle and replaced the seal on the differential. when i took the old seal out, i noticed that there were two fragments of metal that fell out. i checked the seal, the splines on the cv shaft and inside the casing of the diff and didn't see anything that might have broke. The guy that was helping me seems to think that it might be the bearing inside the diff. could that be it???? since then i have replaced the seal and put everything back on the truck, still makes the noise when i put it in reverse but not too bad, but when i engage the t-case and it is in 4wd it is non-stop and loud. Haven't been able to check the front drive shaft as of yet but plan on it this upcoming weekend. could it possibly be that it doesn't fully disengage or a vacuum problem???

really appreciate the advice from all of you.....

Old 02-24-2011, 04:19 PM
howardg3
Default 2007 dodge ram 2500 front end knock noise

2007 dodge ram 2500 hear a rattle/knock noise from left side slow speeds and comes out though the steering column an floor board sound like a shock, but it is not just replace shocks and no diff. dealer just replace all tie rod ends based on Tsb with lead drift. noise still there help?

Last edited by howardg3; 02-27-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: loud clunking noise coming from front end