3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Immobilizer / Truck Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Mike-SS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Immobilizer / Truck Won't Start

My wife and I were leaving the store earlier. I remotely started my 2008 Ram and unlocked the car for her to go ahead of me and open the doors. I then gave her the key to put in the ignition and turn on. After realizing that I could not open the rear driver-side window I asked her to step on the brake and put the truck in gear so that the truck had all power on. I was then able to open the window. I left that store and went to the next stop, about a 10 minute drive.... The red security light was on, and stayed solid, as was my TPMS (it started by flashing and then went solid). When I got to the next stop I noticed that I could not lock the truck with my fob.....weird I thought. So I got back in the truck and tried to start it....no such luck.

To this point the alarm never sounded, and every time I tried to turn the truck over the security light stayed solid. I decided to sit in the truck and open the door, lock it and then shut it.... New symptom....the light went from solid after 3 seconds and then began to flash. I waited 15 minuted and still no luck (15 minutes per the owners manual) It has not stopped flashing and every time I open the door the alarm sounds!!!!!

Since the truck is still under warranty I called to have Dodge tow it. Before I actually deal with the stealership I am curious if there is a way to fix this problem on my own. Any known fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:11 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site.

Did you try to jump it off? Sounds like a dead battery.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Mike-SS

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Welcome to the site.

Did you try to jump it off? Sounds like a dead battery.

Wish that was the case....the alarm sounds every time I unlock the truck manually and open the door.

This is something to do with the immobilizer.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:22 AM
boopadoopa
Professional

sounds to me like the chip in your key went bad? I got a key cut to just open the door A $7 key.. No Fob nothing.. I was told this will open your door only..They said If I use it to start the truck the truck will start.. run about 10 minutes and then quit.. They said then Ill have to get the truck towed back to the dealer to have the computer reset and reprogram my good Key with the chip in it. They also said the same could happen if the chip goes bad in my $250 dollar key and fob?

Old 01-21-2011, 09:25 AM
boopadoopa
Professional

Oh Yea.. And when i used that key once to open my door.. (to try it out) the alarm went off.. the door unlocked but the alarm went off.. and the alarm light in the dash flashed till I used the good key to start the truck and reset the system.. So what you are describing you might have a key that your chip in it went bad.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:48 AM
vinnierap
Rookie

There could be a security issue with your remote starter. Some systems use a module or something which they put around the ignition cylinder that is programmed to ur key to bypass the antitheft. Sometimes the code gets wiped and messes the antitheft causing the very same issues posted above.

This could be your problem. The remote starter might need to be re-programmed. Is it after market starter or from the dealership?

Old 01-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Mike-SS

Problem solved....It was the wireless Ignition Module. Truck will not start without!!!!

Thanks to the warranty!!!

Quick Reply: Immobilizer / Truck Won't Start