3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tune-up time?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:14 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune-up time?

How often do you fellas recommend a tune-up on the hemi?

I'm pushing 75k miles with mine, and gut instinct is telling me the original owner never had it tuned up. She runs great... I just like to pull maintenance when maintenance is due

Old 01-21-2011, 05:49 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I usually buy new. Of my seven full size trucks I've owned since I got my drivers' license in the mid 80's, five have been new purchases. I always go straight by the book for severe driving conditions on the first tune up and then will adjust based what I see then. For example, if the book says 30k, I do 30k, but if the plugs look almost new, I may go to 45k the next time.

On the few vehicles I bought used, I did a full tune-up on the first chance I got after I bought it, even if it appeared it was recently done. I want to know exactly what lubricants and fluids I'm running. My current daily driver (Jeep Grand Cherokee) developed a rear axle problem very soon after I bought it and it ratcheted like hell around turns. I found the only problem was the previous owner had gone to a quickie-lube place for all fluid changes and they had used the wrong fluid in this specialized axle with built-in locker. Simply putting in the right fluid fixed the issue.

Never trust what someone else did to your truck if you want to keep it for a long time...

Old 01-21-2011, 12:22 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely agree. This is my first used vehicle in a while (aside from beater jeep/yota wheelers), and although I'm not too worried about the purchase, I still want to take precautions. The first thing I did was change the oil... drive it for a short period of time and then change it again.

I suppose I could look in the owners manual and see what interval it calls for (what a lazy @ss I am ). I was just wondering what everyone else has been going with on there hemi's.

On a side note, after purchasing my 2nd gen brand new when I was 18 (at $26,667) and driving it for the next 11 years before selling it for a measly $5500 (and it was in damn good shape too!), I swore I would never purchase a new vehicle again due to the depreciation. But, I figure it cost me about $2300 a year to drive it (factoring repair costs over the years), which isn't too bad... so I don't know. New vehicles are nice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tune-up time?