3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wont take gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:20 AM
zeke83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont take gas

All of a sudden my truck will not take gas from the pump very fast. The neck to the tank fills up with gas and trips the handle on the pump.

I went home and pushed some gas line down the neck to see if I could feel any blockage. It would not go all the way into the tank, but I could feel it hit something that seemed to move a little.

After I did that, I had to go somewhere with my truck. The strange part is, my gas cap light has been one for a month, and now it went off after doing that. I bought a new OEM gas cap before, but that did not solve the problem.

I have not gotten gas since the light went off, but does anyone have an idea of what is causing the problem??

Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

At the filler neck built into the tank itself is a flat plastic spring loaded check valve. As fuel comes down the hose from the pump, the pressure forces it down and allows fuel into the tank. When there is no pressure the valve closes and keeps idiots from stealing your fuel as well as if you flip the truck you will not loose fuel back out the filler hose.

However, this valve is non-serviceable and the tank must be replaced as a unit.

Swapping the tank is super easy. However, new tanks are not cheap.

You MAY be able to devise a long to push it down while filling it though.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
zeke83

So the check valve could be causing both problems? Since I stuck the gas line down the neck of the tank, the gas cap light has not come back on. Ill get gas after work, and see if it fills up normal

Old 02-23-2011, 02:14 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

No, the gas cap light is unrelated. It is letting you know there is a vacuum leak. This could be from the rubber seal on the gas cap or even a vacuum hose under the truck that goes to th evap canister that is crack or damaged in some way.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:23 AM
zeke83

The check valve must have been causing both problems. It takes gas fine now, and the gas cap light has not come back on

Old 02-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Matt99
Champion

most of the time its the pump, not your vehicle. Especially if this is happening at the same station.