3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need help with autopage remote start and factory keyless not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 01:55 AM
firsthemitruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with autopage remote start and factory keyless not working

Hello,
i am new at this form stuff. i have a 2008 dodge ram hemi big horn. not sure what gen. it is. i have installed a k&N filter kit. series 63. recently i went to a store to get an 'autopage' remote start installed. Now, for some reason my factory remote doesn't work?? doesn't lock, unlock, and panic button doesn't work. when i use the key to stat the truck, it starts for a few seconds them shuts off???! like the anti-theift was activited or something? also, i read that something about teh cam bus needs to reprogrammed ??

any idea's ??

thanks much all

Old 02-24-2011, 05:23 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, one of the reasons it might not be working well is that Autopage is some pretty cheap stuff. Read "cheap" as in "junk." Remote starter systems are one of those things that you get what you pay for. I'd take the truck back to the shop you had install it and make them fix it, as it should work properly before you leave their garage.

I will move this to 3rd gen (2002-2008 Dodge Rams) to get you some more opinions.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:19 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

They may have also disconnected the OEM remote keyless entry (RKE) so the new alarm could control the locks. If you installed at a shop then you should take it back to the shop and voice your concerns or questions.

If you are starting the truck with the key itself and it shuts off after a few seconds making the truck useless, then you should not even be here asking Qs but back at the shop demanding they resolve it.

If the truck will run fine with the key but the remote start will not work with the remote then it is likely they did not install a bypass for a chipped key OR they did not install it correctly.

Last edited by weedahoe; 02-25-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:28 PM
firsthemitruck

the system is not an alarm system. just a remote start function. i had it installed for about 4 months and one day, just stop working....

I took it back to the place where i got it installed, they said that everything is working fine. that their 'by-pass' mod. is starting the truck. obviously, its not working fine i'd explained due to my factroy remote entry is not working properly...

they said that it might be soemthing with the computer... maybe needs to be reflashed etc...

off hand, if they reflash/reprogram the system, this should work correct?

Old 02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

reflashing the PCM is not going to make the locks work. However, if you disconnect the main harness from the remote start module and still no locks and other issues then yes, you have other problems.

So does the truck run at all or always shuts off? Do you have any check engine lights on?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:18 AM
freddy53
Amateur

I had this happen before to my truck and remote starter where my oem remote and remote starter wouldnt open or lock anything and the little red security light was on. But after some research I found that if you remove the IOD fuse it will reset the security system. Lucky for me it worked and hasnt happened again. Not sure what fuse number it would be on your truck but on my 06 qc 1500 its fuse 11 (20 amp yellow) Hopefully that works for you.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:39 PM
firsthemitruck

yup. sure thing! check the IOD fuse. The fuse was fine.

all i did was remove the fuse and put it back in... remote entry worked also the key worked too

thanks for the help

Old 03-01-2011, 12:32 AM
freddy53
Amateur

good to hear that worked for you! I dont know if it was just some sort of glitch in the security system or what but I was glad to find out that it was an easy fix. Mine did this one other time a day after and I pulled the use again. I am now going on 3 months that it has been fine so that should do the trick

Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM
boltfan
Default Sorry to bump an older thread

I have the exact same issue, with the same brand alarm. I did not purchase it as I know autopage generally sucks. It was with the vehicle when purchased in October.

My issue is that the factory security light comes on often, sometimes multiple times per day. It can be fixed by pulling the battery cables to allow the system to reset. I am also going to identify the fuse in my 2002 truck and try that next occurrence.

My question is how difficult might it be to remove an alarm of this type (autostart, etc.) and reinstall a different brand with or without autostart capabilities? Is it the autostart causing the issue, or the alarm in general. I hate to lose the autostart feature but hate having to pop the hood to fix the issue.

Thanks

Quick Reply: need help with autopage remote start and factory keyless not working