3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 hemi seized pulley

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Thread resurrection!

Mine grenaded on the Autobahn Saturday at about 80 mph. There was no prior indication. I felt the loss of power steering, the CEL came on, and I parked it on the side of the highway. The belt shredded and wrapped itself around the fan shaft. I was on the way to the airport in Frankfurt, so my wife had to get me, take me to the airport, and then deal with my Big Dumb Truck stuck on the side of the road. Lots of drama between then and now, but my truck was finally delivered back to my driveway just this morning (I came back from the States today, too). I bought the belt in the States, but was unaware at the time that the idler pulley was bad, until I went to change the belt today. Wish I would have known this 36 hours ago! Now I will be waiting a week or more to get a new one shipped over. Grrrrrr...

Old 04-18-2014, 04:23 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chet bud.....I received parts from RockAuto in 3 days total here from the States to the UK.
I took pics of the weigh bills etc and posted up pics, as I was that impressed.
Yeah I paid a bit for the express shipping but....when they said express...they weren't kidding.
If you need that truck on the road, try them out and check the express shipping options.

BTW.....I'd also make sure your water pump is ok. If the pump is seized, that's normally what throws the belt bud.
Check everything that the serpentine belt rolls on mate.
Good luck.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:25 PM
stenerson
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlueBlur
Hi all, Pulley #5 in the attached pic locked up on me. I think it is one of the idle pulleys, but i am not certain. Could someone please confirm what part it is and give some detail on replacement?

Im fairly sure i can replace this myself, but i have yet to do any kind of "pulley" work. I am replacing the belt too as it started to melt during the < 60sec the truck was running.

Any and all assistance is most appreciated!!
If I were you I'd also change the pulley that's bolted onto the tensioner. I changed all three a couple weeks ago. They were all shot.

Last edited by stenerson; 04-19-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by abarmby
Chet bud.....I received parts from RockAuto in 3 days total here from the States to the UK.
I took pics of the weigh bills etc and posted up pics, as I was that impressed.
Yeah I paid a bit for the express shipping but....when they said express...they weren't kidding.
If you need that truck on the road, try them out and check the express shipping options.

BTW.....I'd also make sure your water pump is ok. If the pump is seized, that's normally what throws the belt bud.
Check everything that the serpentine belt rolls on mate.
Good luck.
I thought I responded to this the other day?!?

Oh well... I actually order nearly everything from Rock Auto. They do have lightning quick shipping, the problem is that I'm on the military APO system here. So, just because RA ships it quick, once it gets into the APO system, all bets are off. For instance, I ordered my brake pads (shipped) over a full week before the ball joints, and the ball joints arrived at the post office a day before the brakes. That's just life here... :/

I'll check into the water pump. Thanks. I never really thought of that. From what I'm reading here and elsewhere, these pulleys are just utter ****e construction and are prone to fail around 70K. I'll check everything inline with the system, though, for sure.

*EDIT* I did order the full compliment of pulleys. I figured if one could go bad, I might as well replace them all. It's a relatively inexpensive part for the extra piece of mind and insurance.

Last edited by Chet Ubetcha; 04-20-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 04 hemi seized pulley