3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

does true dual work on the Hemi engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:28 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That was a good explanation drew. I was too lazy to type, but the article in the link I posted above agrees with 100%. LOL...

Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 PM
miketrock
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what exactly would be the ideal performance exhaust for our Hemis.......what headers, X - pipe, aftermarket cats, mufflers (semi loud turbos or straight throughs) , shorter exhaust exiting before rear tires or out the back ??

Old 09-29-2014, 09:40 PM
Twyztyd
Default best set up

{ bit late on this.... like 3 years but its here....}

short tube , long tube ?
One does more for the low end from what i remember.

Spent 8 years in an exhaust shop and got to play with alot of other peoples toys.
Im personally a fan of equal length tube headers and pipes before and after the mufflers.
Not sure what that does in the terms of scavenging but everything I ever put exhaust on from stock cars to trucks with equal length pipes sounded awesome. The stock cars sounded like high end Indy car engines when collected into a 10" long 3" megaphone. Evenly spaced notes of power.

My current truck has true duals and I hate it because the tone from one side to the other is so different due to the driver side having so much more pipe before and after the muffler .

What I want is a 2.25 equal length pipe to a good Y and 2.5 or 3" single out. With or without headers. Still trying to figure out exactly how to get it done on this truck since i no longer have access to a bender, and pre-bents are so expensive whether mandrel bends or not.

Dont know if that helped you or not but if your gonna have it built or build it yourself this would be something to consider or even research a bit into.

Last edited by Twyztyd; 09-29-2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: date
Old 09-30-2014, 12:11 AM
chefred112
All Star

my tru-dual hybrid works just fine for me...

Old 10-01-2014, 11:47 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't see how it would be a problem, the LX cars are almost true duals from the factory (minus the DI/DO muffler). All the catback kits are dual mufflers, the Mopar kit I just put on my Charger is dual muffs with an x-pipe.

Old 07-16-2021, 06:02 AM
DonCorneo
Default 2008 4.7

Many years late, but for the record:
I had true dual ran on my 4.7 and it gave me an increase in power and better fuel mileage. I forget the pipe size offhand, but I had the shop continue the size of the pipe from the cat outlet pipe (at least 2.5" but not more than 3").
I'm thinking of trying the H pipe to see if it makes a difference or not.
As to keep the pipes from knocking together because they are so close they did weld both side together which cause the driver's side exhaust manifold boots to shear off. Lesson learned and will make sure there is a flex joint to keep the pipes from torquing during heavy load and/or heavy acceleration.
Given what I read here, I think I'm going to look at wrapped headers also. Anything that gives me more power with better fuel economy is worth trying.
I don't have MDS so it is not an issue for me. Given all the different vehicles I have driven, MDS is bad at highway speeds unless you live in an area with completely flat terrain. It is going to kick on and off as you go up and down sloped terrain.

Old 07-16-2021, 12:04 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 215 Likes on 195 Posts

Quick Reply: does true dual work on the Hemi engine