3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Swap Complete - 2002 4.7 to 2003 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:41 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Man, with a new engine and new lower gears you will have a whole different beast on your hands
Oh yeah! Especially since I have 3.55s right now. I still have to try out the SC performance tune with the hemi too. It made a noticeable difference with the 4.7. Also gonna do a power wire....exciting stuff.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey T- Hows the truck doin'..

Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

What did you have to do to make the headers work, Or did they fit good ?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 AM
T-Muns
Veteran

Originally Posted by HemiDak-Quad
Hey T- Hows the truck doin'..
Originally Posted by HemiDak-Quad
What did you have to do to make the headers work, Or did they fit good ?
Truck is doing pretty good, although I haven't done anything to it in over 2 weeks. It's been at a shop getting gears installed since 3/14. I'm finding that this place is a smaller operation and main guy is in and out alot. Ugh! They're telling me it should be ready today so we'll see. As long as it's done right, I'm not going to complain.

I had no more issues than anyone else with these headers. Had to cut a piece of the trans off on the passenger side and bolt beside the egr hole didn't line up. Although, the pacesetter Y pipe is kinda rubbing against the transfer case on the driver side. Dunno if I should just try to pull the whole thing back about 1/2 inch or something. I was trying to avoid leaks so I put it in as far as I can. I didn't see anyone else having this issue, but I don't think I have anything different as far as transfer case goes.

One thing that really irritates me is that Amazon is selling the pacesetter coated headers right now for $278! They were $100+ that when I bought mine (and $425 at moes). Oh well, we'll see how long the vht paint lasts for me.

Definitely going to figure out those brakes and cruise as soon as I find the time!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:56 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

When you get cruise working , let me know what you had to do..I still have not figured mine out. Have you thought about bringing you're cross over back some more to the tail shaft..Just an Idea, I don't know exactly where it is now and mine's not 4x4. But that's where I had to run my 2x4 to keep the heat off the transmission..I would like to run both of my pipes out in front of the right rear wheel, and over the frame..
With you're header situation- Would it be better to get stock 6.1 headers..I hear they flow great and will work in tight spots..They are kind of expensive and hard to find for a stock setup..I was thinking about that on mine.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:12 AM
T-Muns
Veteran

UPDATE: 4.56 gears and superchips performance tune installed. Huge difference! Also got the Y pipe away from the transfer case. Just had to make an adjustment with the Y pipes. Also have the 3" exhaust going all the way out the back like stock instead of exiting before the rear wheel. Much quieter in the cab so I'm no longer considering getting cats.

Brake light issue solved and cruise control very close. Also changing evap stuff over to NGC. I added the details to the original post.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:45 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

I was traveling through Florida last month towing both my Harleys, A 2004 110ci, Road Glide and a 1997 Softail. A woman pulled out in front of me and totaled my 2001 Hemi powered Dakota Quad Cab and bent the front end on both Harley's. Iv'e been feeling sick and disqusted every since , I spent a year getting that truck like I want it and 3 years building my 04' Road Glide. I just got it back from SLED, they tried to tell me there were stolen parts on it,so they could steel it, They had it for over a year,But couldn't show anything stolen to the judge.SLED is a secret organization of thieves.
ANYWAY-Now I'm searching for a newer model Jeep wrangler to put the 5.7 Hemi into.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:18 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully your next project will turn out even better.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:27 PM
T-Muns
Veteran

Bummer about your truck and bikes man! Sucks that you had so much work into it for that to happen. Good luck with your next project.

Update: Evap system changed over to NGC so CEL is gone! Even though the big stuff has been out of the way for a while, getting the CEL to turn off gives a sense of completion.

I thought I had the cruise control figured out. My brother scanned it at work again and got some codes for me. P2161 is the one about the #2 speed sensor circuit.

The hemi uses an additional speed sensor input that comes from the ABS controller and goes back to the PCM. It is supposedly the average of the 2 front speed sensors. The pinout of my ABS controller (2002 4.7) obviously doesn't have that output so I tried to splice the normal speed sensor in its place, but still no cruise.

At this point in time I don't really care. I only really want to solve it for the sake of solving the problem. I don't really use the cruise anyway. I might get my bro to scan it again to see if I can get any more clues some time down the road.

Now back to some cosmetic stuff - light frame rust, undercoating, wheel wells, bed coating, etc. Afterward...manual trans swap

Old 05-16-2011, 08:31 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The cruise signal comes from the driver side front hub sensor. Mine had to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Hemi Swap Complete - 2002 4.7 to 2003 5.7