3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Swap Complete - 2002 4.7 to 2003 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:50 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wpattee
hey, thanks for all the info. its helped me out a lot. I want to do a swap on my 06 4.7 w/ 6speed getrag 238. I was hoping someone could help me out with what I need for pcm/ tcm. or will 03 5.7 still be the way to go?

You're best bet is to get a PCM from a standard 6-spd transmission if that's what you have. A Auto Trans PCM will be searching for Trans. sensors that aren't there , it will probably throw codes and tell the engine not to run..
Another option , If you're using the trans. from your 4.7 is to use that PCM to send and receive messages from the Motor only..You'll have to re-wire it according to the pin-outs from each unit. The idea is to make the motor think it's still in a Ram, and make the truck think it still has the 4.7 in it. You do that with the wiring schematics...

Old 12-24-2011, 06:56 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Hey Man - Haven't heard from you in a while. Did you get the truck right.. I don't know if you've been following any threads lately, I ended up putting the 04' Hemi and computer in a 2002 Ram quad cab.. I have 200 miles on it now. The only problems I'm having is the interior light don't work, I have to get a speed sensor for the driver side abs , I need a 2004 Hemi powered truck brake block,"It's Under the booster" , My Bed brake light don't work , and I have a rough Idle due to the 02 sensors..I only have 2 plugged in but my harness has 4 02- plugs..I might have to drill out two more holes and install them..Other than that, It runs and drives good..Hope to hear back..I hope you'll put some finished pics up ...

Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 PM
T-Muns
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiDak-Quad
Hey Man - Haven't heard from you in a while. Did you get the truck right.. I don't know if you've been following any threads lately, I ended up putting the 04' Hemi and computer in a 2002 Ram quad cab.. I have 200 miles on it now. The only problems I'm having is the interior light don't work, I have to get a speed sensor for the driver side abs , I need a 2004 Hemi powered truck brake block,"It's Under the booster" , My Bed brake light don't work , and I have a rough Idle due to the 02 sensors..I only have 2 plugged in but my harness has 4 02- plugs..I might have to drill out two more holes and install them..Other than that, It runs and drives good..Hope to hear back..I hope you'll put some finished pics up ...
The truck has been running pretty good. I've been dealing with some more steering rack / cv axle issues, but otherwise ok. I actually just picked up a 2004 pcm and harness. I'm going to hack it up soon when I get some time and use my old 2002 C130 plug to keep it factory-like.

I've also started picking up parts for a manual trans swap. Lot of ideas and parts on hand...not a whole lot of time! It'll get there eventually.

Sounds like a cool project you have going on, very similar to what I will have. I'd drill for more O2s. I have 2 in my long tubes and will be adding 2 more for non-fouler style O2s. If your 2004 truck has front abs, won't you have to change out the hubs too? Might just be able to get dealer to remove front abs in pcm or find another pcm.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:06 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Sounds good , Did you run Cat-Converters..I have a 2004 wiring harness I was going to use on my 02' ram. The wires are cut off "and marked" where they tie into the PDC, and Cab.. But it's for an auto trans. I don't know if you could have used it..BUT since I have already looked up the wires I can write the colors and what they go to here, if you need them..I spent days looking up these wires then bought another harness and did it another way, I can't use the info, But if you can , you're welcome to it. Just let me know.. If you need anything just let me know. Btw , there are pics of mine on my thread now..
IF I get a 04' front speed sensor, There's nothing on my 02' Hub for it to read ? Will I have to get a 04' hub too ?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 PM
T-Muns
Veteran

Thanks, but I have the dealer service manuals and alldatadiy. I think it will be a fun project to wire it all up anyway.

I'm considering using cats after going to the 2004 wiring harness. Might be nice to be legal and get rid of some stink...but I'm not totally sold on them yet. If I do, it will be the high flow thunderbolt cats.

The part # catalog says that the hubs are different (52070321AB for rear only abs, 52070323ABfor 4 whl abs) I know that I have rear abs only and previous owner replaced right front hub with a junkyard hub that had a sensor cut off of it (btw I just replaced it with a new one because of a bad bearing). So in my case, it worked, but it won't work the other way around. You'll need hubs if you're trying to get the abs to work.

I'll hopefully find a way to disable it anyway because I really dont' care for abs.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Can I disable my ABS by pulling the fuse ? I don't care for ABS either- I think it's just another something to go wrong , or give Dodge a reason to fix something at the owners expense...I feel like if I keep good tires around my truck , I won't have a problem with the wheels locking up..

Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 AM
03whiteram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. If you're not out there speed racing everywhere, you never really use abs on dry road. If you have halfway decent tires, you never use it in the rain either. IMO, if you are actually activating ABS, you're probably driving to fast for the conditions.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

My ABS Light has been flashing every since I put this truck on the road..A front wheel speed sensor is $105.00 then I have to buy a hub..I tried to take the ABS fuse out yesterday but then the light stays on and the brake light comes on..I guess the only way to stop this light from blinking is to get a front wheel speed sensor..Maybe the Cruise will work too..

Old 01-05-2012, 10:09 AM
T-Muns
Veteran

Have any codes? When I first did my swap, my abs and brake light would flash and ding. Oddly, once I set my tire size with superchips it went away.

I guess all 2004's have front abs? If not maybe try to find a pcm that doesn't have abs or get it removed by dealer?

Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

That might be worth looking into..I don't mind the flashing ABS light , I just don't need for anything to go wrong with my brakes if I have to stop on a dime .

Quick Reply: Hemi Swap Complete - 2002 4.7 to 2003 5.7