3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Ram 1500 CEL Codes, bad PCM, stalling, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Dartman340
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Ram 1500 CEL Codes, bad PCM, stalling, etc...

Okay, I am at my wit's end on this one so I thought I would try the Dodge Ram community to get some input.

So, my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi started randomly stalling about 4 weeks ago. I pulled the codes and found it had a P0335 and P0340. I replaced the Cam Position Sensor and the Crank Position Sensor based upon several articles on these CEL codes. I checked the wiring as best I could, buttoned it up, took it for a drive, and the CEL codes (and later stalling) still remained.

I then took it to my local Dodge Dealership and I got some bad news. While I was half expecting a bad PCM, I was not expecting that the PCM would be discontinued from Dodge. The dealership said they can't do anything with it unless I could find the part myself and bring it back.

After exhausting all of the Dodge parts sources online for the PCM, I finally started looking at aftermarket PCM sources. After reading reviews, I finally settled on getting a PCM from Auto Module Source. The price was great, the unit shipped quickly, and real people answered the phone. So I provided my VIN number, mileage, etc. and requested second day air to get the parts faster.

I installed the PCM per the instructions (basically just don't disconnect the battery) and it fired right up. I took it for a drive, and right at the 15 minute mark the CEL came on and I drive it home immediately. While it seemed to run fine, the truck was now displaying U0168, P0340, P0633, P2122, and P2127 codes. I did some research on these codes and every one except the P0340 can be related to a recently flashed PCM. So I called Auto Module Source for thier guidence, and after providing the codes, the technician said that I should send the PCM back.

So a replacement PCM came last night via 2nd day air again. I installed the unit, it also fired right up, and I went for an identical drive that I went on with the first PCM. The CEL did not come on at the same time as the last PCM, so I thought that everything was okay at first.

Right at the fifteen minute mark the CEL came on, the truck immediately stalled and would not start. It sat being unable to start for 20 minutes, and then started. I drove it for about 1/4 mile, and then the truck shutdown but did not stall with the motor not going over idle. I limped the truck along to safe turn off at 10-15 MPH (I assume this was in "limp mode"). I turned it off, waited a few minutes, and started it again. No issues at this point, and I drove it home for about 10 minutes without further issues.

As it sits right now, the truck is displaying the CEL codes of U0168, P0340, P0633, P2122, and P2127, but now there is an additional code of P061C.

So, I have some theories on these problems, but I really don't know how to proceed. My first theory is that the PCM is actually NOT bad. This can be supported by the fact that I installed two repalcement PCM's and the stalling problems still exists, as evidenced by the P0340 on the first PCM, and the same code plus stalling on the second PCM. My second theory is that Auto Module Source somehow "missed" the programming on the PCM, possibly by mistyping my VIN. This would explain the U0168, P0633, P2122, P2127, and P061C codes. What this would not explain is why it is still stalling.

I am stumped, and any input anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. At this point I am open to trying another vendors PCM, so if anyone would like to recommend another vendor that would be great too.

Thanks!
Scott

Old 11-14-2022, 10:19 PM
gepops58
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dartman340
Okay, I am at my wit's end on this one so I thought I would try the Dodge Ram community to get some input.

So, my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi started randomly stalling about 4 weeks ago. I pulled the codes and found it had a P0335 and P0340. I replaced the Cam Position Sensor and the Crank Position Sensor based upon several articles on these CEL codes. I checked the wiring as best I could, buttoned it up, took it for a drive, and the CEL codes (and later stalling) still remained.

I then took it to my local Dodge Dealership and I got some bad news. While I was half expecting a bad PCM, I was not expecting that the PCM would be discontinued from Dodge. The dealership said they can't do anything with it unless I could find the part myself and bring it back.

After exhausting all of the Dodge parts sources online for the PCM, I finally started looking at aftermarket PCM sources. After reading reviews, I finally settled on getting a PCM from Auto Module Source. The price was great, the unit shipped quickly, and real people answered the phone. So I provided my VIN number, mileage, etc. and requested second day air to get the parts faster.

I installed the PCM per the instructions (basically just don't disconnect the battery) and it fired right up. I took it for a drive, and right at the 15 minute mark the CEL came on and I drive it home immediately. While it seemed to run fine, the truck was now displaying U0168, P0340, P0633, P2122, and P2127 codes. I did some research on these codes and every one except the P0340 can be related to a recently flashed PCM. So I called Auto Module Source for thier guidence, and after providing the codes, the technician said that I should send the PCM back.

So a replacement PCM came last night via 2nd day air again. I installed the unit, it also fired right up, and I went for an identical drive that I went on with the first PCM. The CEL did not come on at the same time as the last PCM, so I thought that everything was okay at first.

Right at the fifteen minute mark the CEL came on, the truck immediately stalled and would not start. It sat being unable to start for 20 minutes, and then started. I drove it for about 1/4 mile, and then the truck shutdown but did not stall with the motor not going over idle. I limped the truck along to safe turn off at 10-15 MPH (I assume this was in "limp mode"). I turned it off, waited a few minutes, and started it again. No issues at this point, and I drove it home for about 10 minutes without further issues.

As it sits right now, the truck is displaying the CEL codes of U0168, P0340, P0633, P2122, and P2127, but now there is an additional code of P061C.

So, I have some theories on these problems, but I really don't know how to proceed. My first theory is that the PCM is actually NOT bad. This can be supported by the fact that I installed two repalcement PCM's and the stalling problems still exists, as evidenced by the P0340 on the first PCM, and the same code plus stalling on the second PCM. My second theory is that Auto Module Source somehow "missed" the programming on the PCM, possibly by mistyping my VIN. This would explain the U0168, P0633, P2122, P2127, and P061C codes. What this would not explain is why it is still stalling.

I am stumped, and any input anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. At this point I am open to trying another vendors PCM, so if anyone would like to recommend another vendor that would be great too.

Thanks!
Scott
I would say u have a controller area network problem. If any messages coming over the CAN circuit becomes corrupted it can cause driveability issues even putting it into limp mode. Even just a corroded pin on this system can cause issues, I would find the CAN modules check the plugs for loose fitting pin connections and inspect the wire harnesses connecting the PCM,CAN network modules and all the engine/transmission sensors. Look for oil leaking onto the wire harness and burned or damaged insulation on the wire harnesses

Last edited by gepops58; 11-14-2022 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:04 AM
gepops58
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dartman340

Thanks!
Scott
that U0168 code suggest communication is being lost to the immobilizer module that suggests that the Controller Area Network is being corrupted. This system sends digital messages over a wired network and controls various modules on ur vehicle, even something as minor as a loose pin on a connector can cause issues, if the messages over the CAN 2 network get corrupted it can cause some serious issues with driveability and various system issues. I would inspect all plugs on the CAN2 network on all the engine/transmission electrical connections and look for insulation being rubbed and wires touching together,I have also found oil leaking on wire connections causing issues, broken wires inside insulation and loose plugs

The following users liked this post:
Chrishinds62 (05-29-2023)
Old 11-15-2022, 03:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

5 year old thread??

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram 1500 CEL Codes, bad PCM, stalling, etc...