3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7L burning oil like gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:24 AM
revkevin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7L burning oil like gas

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 4.7L with 180,000 miles that is burning a ton of oil. I am not much of a mechanic, and I need some help with where to start troubleshooting. I get the oil changed regularly (every 3,000 miles or so). Yesterday I put almost 5qts in, which means there was basically no oil. There are a few drops of oil on the driveway, but nothing that would indicate losing all of my oil in a few months time. The coolant doesn't seem to be milky. What else should I be checking?

Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Geezir
Veteran

Get underneath your truck and see if the underside is sprayed with oil.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:01 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

This just start happening? Take a look inside the end of the tailpipe also...is it wet with black muck? White smoke coming from tailpipe? 5qts, that's alot, sounds more like a bad main seal/oil pan gasket leak. Get up under there and take a look.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:14 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

180k is a lot on a gas engine. Are certainly need to check for external leaks and if there are none or very small ones then you would be burning oil INSIDE the engine.

If it is internal then you would be blowing smoke when you first start it up or while driving it.

If thats the case and with you at 180k, then it is time to a rebuild or re-manufactured engine

Old 04-18-2011, 11:02 PM
revkevin

See now weedahoe - words and phrases like "180k is a lot on a gas engine" and "rebuild" those don't really need to be part of the solution.

Firefighter when I was given the truck I was warned that it burned oil, but this is crazy. The tailpipe is certainly black, but all dry. Also, I've never noticed it smoking.

Geezir it was surprisingly dry and clean. The only thing I really saw was the oil I spilled when filling it back up and some transmission fluid which is less than encouraging.

Starting to think I should go back to my vehicle description page and check the "for sale" box.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:22 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The coolant won't be milky if oil is getting in. There just will be oil floating on the coolant. If coolant is getting in the oil, the oil might be milky. If it isn't leaking, it must be burning. Five quarts in 3k miles? It must be going somewhere. I suspect you might want to look closer for smoke. A compression and a leak-down test sound in order.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by revkevin
See now weedahoe - words and phrases like "180k is a lot on a gas engine" and "rebuild" those don't really need to be part of the solution.
i know man. If it were a diesel then 180K would be nothing. But at that mileage and on a gas engine and using or loosing THAT much oil, you have major issues and none of them will be cheap.

Like I said, lift the hood and look top top of the engine and look at the sides of the valve covers. Its there oil present? Get under the trick and look at the front of the oil pan (front engine crank seal) and the rear of the oil pan (rear main seal). Is there oil present there?

At 180k Im sure your have external oil leaks and Im sure you have at least a rear main leak. But I still believe you have excessive internal wear in the valve guides and piston rings.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:10 AM
FireFighter
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
180k is a lot on a gas engine. Are certainly need to check for external leaks and if there are none or very small ones then you would be burning oil INSIDE the engine.

If it is internal then you would be blowing smoke when you first start it up or while driving it.

If thats the case and with you at 180k, then it is time to a rebuild or re-manufactured engine
I'm at 197K, I hated reading that. I pray my baby goes alot longer before a rebuild is required...esp when it's my only source of income.

OP...have you found anything yet?

Old 04-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check around the bell housing at the tranny, you may have lost a rear seal, wouldn't demand a rebuild, but the repair wouldn't be that easy either.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:09 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by FireFighter
I'm at 197K, I hated reading that. I pray my baby goes alot longer before a rebuild is required...esp when it's my only source of income.
You know how it goes. Some engines make it to 70k and some make it to 170k+

Quick Reply: 4.7L burning oil like gas