WHEEL & TIRE FITMENT on DODGE RAM

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:43 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Calvert
how do i measure wheel backspacing on an existing rim that is not stock?
Please take the time to go through the thread. This is the link you are looking for.

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Use THIS guide to explain wheel backspacing/offset and to also compare widths and offsets using the handy chart.(The smaller the backspacing, the further out your fender the wheels will stick, the larger the backspacing, the more recessed they will be)

Old 09-24-2011, 10:11 PM
GREBNET
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will wheels off suburban fit 04 ram 1500 quad ?

I bought an 04 Ram 1500 quad Hemi for my son in college. A friend has Wheels/new snows from a suburban he just sold . Will they fit my Ram ? Truck is off at college with son right now,

Old 09-25-2011, 12:36 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

the tires might the the rims wont

Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Logik287
Amateur

First off, thanks for all the info Dirty. I'm looking to purchase rims/tires for my 04 dodge ram 1500 4wd quad cab with stock 20's. I'm Finding it to be considerably more complicated than i had first thought. It's the first set of rims and tires ive purchased so forgive me if I ask any stupid questions.

After going through your post and doing alot of other research, I think I'm getting near to buying a set. But i have one question stumping me before i go on.

I like the look of the deep-dish rims, and the tires extending a little further past the fenders. (correct me if im wrong) But this means i would like a wheel with a lower offset/backspacing. Now Im going to aim for 34" total diameter as i dont have any lift. My concern is now, will a lower offset rim rub with 34" diameter?

For example i've found 17" rims that I like at:
Offset: -12mm
Backspacing: 4.58"
or
Offset: 00mm
Backspacing: 4.48"

Will i have problems with rubbing with either of these at 34" overall diameter? Also will a lower offset rim create any other problems for me at all? Again, forgive me if this is a stupid question but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to wheels. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have narrowed it down to a few sets of rims+tires combo.
275/70/17 (15.7" +17" rim=32.7" total diameter)
260/70/17 (14.9" +17" rim=31.9" total diameter)

As for the rims, they are:
17x9 wheel size
-6mm offset
4.75" backspacing

and
17x8 wheel size
-0mm offset
4.5" backspacing

Could anyone tell me if i would have problems with rubbing? From what i can see it should give me enough clearance, but i would appreciate a seccond oppinion from someone with a little more knowledge. Thanks again!

Old 10-04-2011, 05:38 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Logik287
First off, thanks for all the info Dirty. I'm looking to purchase rims/tires for my 04 dodge ram 1500 4wd quad cab with stock 20's. I'm Finding it to be considerably more complicated than i had first thought. It's the first set of rims and tires ive purchased so forgive me if I ask any stupid questions.

EDIT: I have narrowed it down to a few sets of rims+tires combo.
275/70/17 (15.7" +17" rim=32.7" total diameter)
260/70/17 (14.9" +17" rim=31.9" total diameter)

As for the rims, they are:
17x9 wheel size
-6mm offset
4.75" backspacing

and
17x8 wheel size
-0mm offset
4.5" backspacing

Could anyone tell me if i would have problems with rubbing? From what i can see it should give me enough clearance, but i would appreciate a seccond oppinion from someone with a little more knowledge. Thanks again!
The only place you would rub on a wheel that sticks outside the fender AWAY from your a-arms and engine area...would be the front bumper, on larger diameter tires.
You will be fine with either choice, but I will say that a 4.5"backspace with a 260width will look a little bit funny. When you go with a wider stance rim, you want a little bit wider tire or else you'll have a spanish lowrider look going on.
I tried out 1.5" spacers on my 275 stock tires and even those looked very narrow for how far they stuck out. I pulled them off right away.

275 is the minimum I would go on that far of an offset(smaller backspacing).
Jack up your truck and unbolt your stock wheel. Now, pull the wheel out 1.5" and stand afar from the front or back and take a look at it and you'll see what I am saying. I personally would shoot for a 295 width on a 4.5-4.75" backspacing. The diamater isn't as crucial as the width in your situation..IMO 295/65or70/17 or maybe a 285/70/17

Also, on a wider tire, I would shoot for the 17x9 wheels. Not only would you still be getting close to 1" further out look, the wider tire will add another 1", so essentially, you'll be close if not right at 2" wider than what you are stock. 4" total if you add up both sides.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Logik287
Amateur

Ok right on, i was having trouble searching for larger tires as I wasnt sure of the general sizes. I found a really nice set of 285/70/17's and i like them ALOT better than the smaller ones. So my overall diameter with those on my 17x9's would be 33.2". I definately would like to go this route i think its pretty much exactly what im looking for.

That said, whats your opinion of rubbing on the front fenders with this setup? If it comes down to it, i do plan on adding a leveling kit in the future. But until i do, would i be ok? Thanks again for the help.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

no rubbbing with that set-up

Old 10-08-2011, 09:51 PM
P/$$ on Ford

im starting to realize why the guys at kal tire are wanting 5 grand for tires and rims for my truck instead of 2350 that i can get them online lol all of the math is absolutely mind boggling perhaps i will call another tire shop outside fort mcmurray Ab to get info lol
after reading your entire write up i have narrowed down that with the stock rims i could put 33/12r20's on my truck so the original 305/55r20 i had planned wouldnt work? as theyre like 12.1 inch wide not to mention the huge nubs on the side of them being nitto trail grapplers... do i have to take those giant ***** into consideration as well? or is that included in the tire size ugh im drowning lol

thanks a lot for directing me to your post though

Old 10-09-2011, 05:38 PM
P/$$ on Ford

ok so i found something that might be helpful to others to go with your write up you could use this to determine offset you would need when purchasing aftermarket rims
and possibly in exchange someone with some tire sense can check my work and see if im correct lol

stock 20" wheels have a supposed offset of +22 they're 9" wide giving you a total backspace from mounting surface to edge of rim @ 5.9"...

the new wheels im looking at getting are 8.5" wide offset is +12 giving a total from mounting surface to edge of rim = 5.2 inch meaning that the new wheels are going to stick out .70" further then the stock wheels correct?
with all this said i have approximately .5 of an inch between my stock 275/60/20's and my upper ball joint... with the new tires being 305/55r20 the difference is .51 inch

so with calculating the differences between the old rim and tire config and the new rims and tires i should about .20" which is only 7/32 of an inch thats a little more then 3/16 lol i dont think thats enough room?
olso with the nitto trail grapplers that im getting theyre 305 wide does that include the giant lugs on the side cause perhaps im going to need like an inch difference rather then the calculated .5 difference.

edit i forgot the link here it is for comparing wheels tires and offsets and such
http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Old 12-10-2011, 05:55 AM
2002dodgeram4.7

So ur saying for a 2002 dodge ram 1500 4x4 all i need to do is get a 2 inch leveling kit in the front and 1.5 inch spacers and i can fit 35 inch tires without rubbing?

Quick Reply: WHEEL & TIRE FITMENT on DODGE RAM