3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel Hub Assembly or just Bearing/Bearing Assembly

Old 05-01-2011, 05:52 AM
shadesters
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Hub Assembly or just Bearing/Bearing Assembly

2005 Ram 1500 QC 3.7L RWD

Hi guys. My drivers side tire has some play when rocking it left and right, so I am assuming bad wheel bearing. After looking up parts, I see there are many different choices. Do I have to get the whole hub assembly (with bearings) or do I just need bearings that I can put into my existing assembly? (is that hard to do?) If I can get the bearings by themselves, do I need anything else like the seal/cup, or should I just use the existing as well?

Also I have rear ABS so I am guessing that I would need non-ABS since I am doing the front, correct?

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:15 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

V8 or V6 they all use a wheel hub assembly. They are sealed up and have the lug nuts pre-mounted. This is the BEST PRICED Timken bearing assembly you will find! Get the Timken if you can wait on the mail delivery. Shouldn't take 2 days as it looks like they have 4 wharehouses.
HERE is a pic of the Timken with the lugs and wheel speed sensor.
Check behind and you should see a wheel speed sensor. This is different than ABS. You should have the sensor only on one side i think?

Last edited by dirtydog; 05-01-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:20 AM
nussdawg395
Veteran

If you have play left to right it could also be a tie rod end. Easiest way to check that is to look at the tie rod end when your moving your tire. But check your up down play as well. And you will need a wheel hub bearing assembly. Pretty ready to replace. And you could have a speed sensor on one of your hubs for cruise control I believe, just look and see if it has the wrie on it.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:15 PM
shadesters
Amateur

@dirtydog
The part you listed seems to be for non 2000+ dodge rams. I entered 2005 as a year and it said the part doesn't match my vehicle. But the assembly that does fit my truck is in stock and the same price at Advance Auto Parts right down the road from me.

@nussdawg395
I recorded me turning my wheels when I thought I had bad ball joints, but it seems the tie rod/ball joints are fine. So it seems this side to side is just the bearings. I don't have cruise control, my truck is the basic model, I don't even have power windows or keyless entry lol

Anyways thanks for the answers guys, guess I will get the whole assembly. This is the part I think I need:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-3

It says its for a RWD with no ABS (I do have ABS but just on rear tires) but I don't have ABS on the front so I am guessing it's fine to use this part, right?

Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The front left must have the sensor or your cruise won't work. They all come with the sensor anyway I think. I just went thru this on my 08. I had the driver side hub replaced under warranty and the sensor in the new one was bad and my cruise wouldn't even turn on. The old one was still in the shop the next day when I took it back and they plugged it into the truck and the cruise worked. They swapped it out again. and all is well. I only have rear wheel abs as well. I still can't believe that all 3rd gen's don't have 4 wheel abs. I have slid my front tires twice, once in the rain and once on the dry pavement towing 8K lbs on my trailer and some douchebag turned in front of me. If it wasn't for my trailer brakes, there would be one less Chevy Cavalier in this world.

Last edited by lxman1; 05-01-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:46 PM
nussdawg395
Veteran

Yupp that's the right part man. Easy way to check is just to look at the wheel hub assembly and see if you have the wire for the speed sensor, if so I would replace it with the one with a speed sensor. If no wire is there that is the right part. It didn't show a price but you can pock one up from ebay or rockauto.com for around $100.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Hub Assembly or just Bearing/Bearing Assembly